Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Winter operations / lowest temperature for starting / preheating methods (merged)

LeSving wrote:

For us who have “green” energy production LED or not makes no difference whatsoever.

You could export the saved, green energy to Germany, for example, so they could switch off even more coal plants.

Interesting that Norway is importing energy from Denmark according to that map.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 04 Jan 22:59

LeSving wrote:

For us who have “green” energy production LED or not makes no difference whatsoever.

Well actually it does – it is idiotic to spend (currency of your choice) XYZ billion to build a hydro dam or a wind farm or a solar farm (or whatever source of generation really) and another ABC million to maintain it, to then turn 5% of the production into light and waste the remainder of 95%.

Use your brain for one second and imagine you spend 100 bucks on water and only drink 5% of it. Are you going to say “i threw away 95 bucks worth of water but it doesn’t matter because it’s bio?”

Rwy20 wrote:

Cool I don’t have a PC here, so cannot see the map. But the thing is, we don’t actually import the electricity, we sell regulating power. Right now Denmark has surplus energy they need to get rid of. We get the same amount of money to “import” that energy as we get exporting it next week It’s the whole idea of those DC cables to the continent. There will be many more, and also to the UK. Switzerland is doing the same thing. The more “green” power that is produced in the continent and the UK, the better for us.

Shorrick_Mk2 wrote:

Well actually it does – it is idiotic

Think again. The only idiotic thing (environmentally speaking) is to use fossil fuels. People pay for electricity, not for “light”. In Norway, fossil fuels for heating is not even allowed anymore (not that it matters, it’s more expensive to use fossil fuels than electricity anyway). So if you use a light bulb or an electric heater to warm your house, makes no difference. In Texas in June, things are opposite of course, since you want to cool the house, not heat it.

Except for Spain and other really hot places, in the summer only, as far as Europe goes, LED is 95% symbolic nonsense and 5 % “efficiency”. Howdo you heat your house? Oil or gas I presume.

We can still get old fashioned bulbs in Norway. I prefer LED though, since they last much longer. But, a 50-100W bulb and a blanket, is very good for an aircraft engine, and it’s dead cheap and simple.

Last Edited by LeSving at 05 Jan 00:08
The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Rwy20 wrote:

LeSving wrote:
You could export the saved, green energy to Germany, for example, so they could switch off even more coal plants.

Exactly, overall energy efficiency is a win for everyone. Norway saves power it can be used elsewhere. More close to home, we have replaced everything with good LEDs and they save a fortune on electricity operating costs. We will make back the investment in one year.

EGTK Oxford

Peter wrote:

The biggest problem, which I guess they have solved in the cold countries where hangarage is also available, is electricity availability. I have never had the ability to plug something into the mains, even inside a hangar. It simply was never allowed. The power socket might be next to the plane but I was never allowed to use it. And this is fairly common, I know. It all depends on the airfield situation and politics.

How can that be a “big problem” to solve? You just don’t ban the use of electric sockets in the hangar! Simple! The mindset here in the “cold countries” is a bit different, apparently…

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 05 Jan 05:35
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

This is like Peter answered the bulb with protection.!!

Matti
EFHV

OK, back on topic.

Does anyone know how to work this out?

I have looked for temperature decay calculators online but can find only ones for neutron and other radioactive decay and then the simple ones like this which don’t support an insulating layer. This one gets a little closer and I see they use some modelling tools to do it.

I wonder if @DavidS would know – he seems to be really clever at maths

Basically it is a solid mass, say 200kg, say specific heat capacity being on average same as aluminium (that will give a conservative result because steel is higher), and you have a certain area of insulator which at a rough guess is 3 square metres.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Modern diesel cars achieve some of their great sales-data MPG by the method of not diverting any engine heat into the car heating system, for as long as possible They also use a lot of insulation around the engine. The combination of these hacks enables a better MPG figure to be obtained in the standard MPG tests, for marketing purposes. So… my 2 litre diesel VW takes about 10x longer to thaw my goolies than my 3 litre Toyota Soarer did.

Many of the larger modern diesels have a fuel burning heater which heats up the coolant and provides heat for the occupants.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

My car has an electric heater. It delivers warm air to the cabin and windows within seconds of starting.

It’s a really nice feature…

@Peter,

Integrating differential equations based on Newton’s law of cooling looks great fun, but an engine monitor with OAT, CHT and oil temp might provide the means to check the result empirically.

Peter.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message