Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Restrictions on basing EU-reg aircraft outside their country of registry?

Peter,
my G-reg ist registered with my german address online. This was never am issue, nobody ever mentioned that topic.

Check: G-YORC

Dunno, didn’t ask that specifically but suspect it would be OK.

Of course, not mentioned yet, is a residence restriction in the destination country.

For example in the UK a non-G-reg homebuilt can remain for only 30 days. A non-G-reg CofA can remain for ever.

But obviously this is impossible to closely monitor – same as the endless debates about the 2004/2005 French and UK proposals to boot out N-regs after 90 days’ stay in any 12-month period. The framework for monitoring is not in place in the aviation world, and by the time you have put in place the obviously needed exemptions for aircraft undergoing maintenance, the obvious workaround is to render the aircraft unairworthy after each landing, till the next time you fly it. So people have to stay below the radar, and not make enemies (the latter can be difficult in GA, as any owner will know).

I keep half an eye on the Lancair Evolution turboprop. This is a homebuilt. If this ever gets IFR approval in some European country, that’s half the job done. The other half is the above residence restriction which is probably quite common in Europe.

One would need to solve the residence restriction only in one’s base country, because all the others would be merely visited short-term and they would “probably” never “get you”.

Then you get overflight restrictions (nonexistent for CofA aircraft) but they are less of an issue because you are, ahem, a long way up

With homebuilts this whole situation is a mess, for sure… and I can’t see it improving because EASA is the only driver of “unification” and they won’t help with either the IFR approval or with the residence restrictions because homebuilts are outside its jurisdiction. You might get some domestic-only IFR approval (reportedly a couple of countries already do that) but if you can’t fly anywhere…?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have just heard that as of May 2014 The Netherlands has banned all foreign reg uncertified aircraft (e.g. homebuilts) flying in its airspace.

Administrator

My aircraft is Dutch-registered and IIRC the D-CAA indeed wanted an address in the Netherlands when I emigrated to Spain. So the address of the Dutch Diamond Service Center, who sold the aircraft to me, was given.

The Spanish Diamond Service center (CAMO/Part 145) maintains my aircraft and handles all contacts with the Dutch CAA. In 2008 and 2009 an inspector from Holland had to come over to sign-off annuals, but later the Spanish service center obtained a license to sign off Dutch-reg aircraft themselves. It all works pretty flawless.

AFAIK the only time the Dutch contract address is used is for a bill of a few hundred for ‘telecom charges’ of airborne radios.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

So the address of the Dutch Diamond Service Center, who sold the aircraft to me, was given.

I came across one Dutch firm which does this mailbox for an annual fee; a low 3-digit amount.

In 2008 and 2009 an inspector from Holland had to come over to sign-off annuals, but later the Spanish service center obtained a license to sign off Dutch-reg aircraft themselves

Is that for certified aircraft only?

Administrator

In 2008 and 2009 an inspector from Holland had to come over to sign-off annuals, but later the Spanish service center obtained a license to sign off Dutch-reg aircraft themselves

Every CAMO can do the annual for any EASA reg. However, it needs to be recognized by the responsible CAA. This mostly involves sending credentials to the CAA (i.e. prove that it’s actually an EASA approved CAMO). In case this is not (yet) done, the process varies from CAA to CAA. The UK CAA issues the annual directly with supporting documentation from the CAA while others might insist on sending an inspector or not issue annuals at all.

When you’re the first/only customer with a certain registration, it might take some effort/convincing to get the CAMO to register itself with the CAA. One of the advantages of G-reg is that the CAA is very easy on this — they don’t care where your address is and they issue the annual directly for a fee.

In Italy, my limited experience, based on friend’s foriegn registered aircraft:

Golf: no british contact/mailbox required

Delta: german contact/mailbox definitly required

Happy only when flying
Sabaudia airstrip LISB, Italy

I have just heard that as of May 2014 The Netherlands has banned all foreign reg uncertified aircraft (e.g. homebuilts) flying in its airspace.

Where have you heard that??? Please put sources.

AIC-A 16/02 Permission to fly into the Netherlands airspace with foreign built amateur aircraft is valid

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

I got it from a Dutch pilot yesterday. I am travelling today and tomorrow and don’t have all my emails with me but when I get back I will ask him for a reference. Actually he reads this site so he may notice it.

Obviously an overflight ban is impossible in practice, in Europe. Same way as you can fly Eurocontrol IFR with say an RV; we had a thread on this a while ago and the Eurocontrol database report I posted on IFR movements versus types showed a number of types which were not IFR certified

Administrator
Sign in to add your message