Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fuel duty drawback (reclaim)

Hi John,

It’s correct that this has been removed. Was removed maybe 5 years ago.

There is still a possibility of a rebate if your flight was for commercial purposes. A new levy was introduced around the time the drawback was removed, but an exception was made for commercial flights. I’m not very familiar with that because I don’t make any commercial flights.

But for non commercial flights, it’s no longer possible to get any duty back unfortunately.

You can of course still claim back the duty on fuel in your tanks when you departed the UK, from the UK government. That’s not affected.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Irish revenue really don’t like giving money back. Even if it’s commercial I think they have binned my last two claims small as they were.

As Dublinpilot says the old ships stores drawback route is long gone.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

I thought the only country apart from the UK which did duty drawback was Italy but that one was never substantiated.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Just to complete this thread, there is a mention of a drawback system in Ireland, but that ended years ago – here

Administrator

Can UK Fuel Drawback be claimed on a T7 reg aircraft?

EGKB Biggin Hill

I can’t think of any reason why not.

I claim it for an aircraft with an EI reg without any problem.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Definitely can. I am N-reg and do it every 2 years (just under; 24 months is the deadline).

The only issue I can think of is if you are based outside the UK and supply HMRC with bank account details which, ahem, don’t work Anybody who has ever been involved with BICs, IBANs, etc will have seen this. I would not expect HMRC to bend over trying to make a payment work. It’s not like when you are trying to send money to the USA for an engine; then you have to make it work And some UK banks are incapable of sorting it out.

Administrator

Does anyone know what the current duty is on Jet-A1?

Digging around on the govt website, it looks like 11p/litre which I am sure is wrong. The UK operates a voluntary declaration anyway so this won’t come up often.

Reason I am asking is this is the price for EGKA which makes no sense and I think they must be including duty

Administrator

I pay 0.5795£/L duty for UK private flight (aircraft burns 25LPH JetA, so peanuts just load of paper forms and cheques here and there every month, still HRMC did chase once or twice few group pilots following some techlog audit )

Last Edited by Ibra at 30 Aug 17:16
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter,

From the website:
Avgas 100LL £1.41 + VAT (£1.69 inc per litre)
Jet A1 £0.80 + VAT (£0.84 inc per litre)
I think the prices are wrong.

EGTR
Sign in to add your message