Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Pilot Controller Meeting (Barbecue) Stuttgart / EDDS / STR

It looks as if madness is taking over my homebase with the coming Pilot-Controller meeting and barbecue. Latest news about it on the ATIS, pilots of renowned airlines calling controllers by their first names (or forum nicknames) and vice-versa instead of using callsigns and flight numbers … And the event is still ten days away!

So if anybody on this forum is based in the vicinity or plans a trip around that date (June 25) which might include a night stop (and possibly a layover day to cure the aftereffects) in EDDS this is THE party to join. From the list of names already registered I see that GA is still a little underrepresented so let’s do something about that

This is the website to visit: http://www.pilot-controller-meeting.rocks/route-to-tower/

EDDS - Stuttgart

As one of the guys organizing the BBQ I would like to put it out, that this BBQ is supposed to improve the mutual understanding of professional pilots and ATC. So unless you are flying professionally we would like to ask you to refrain from trying to join. We do not want to exclude GA traffic in general, but this BBQ is NOT meant as a “Stammtisch” for student pilots or private pilots who cross the CTR twice a year, but as a professional forum for those based in EDDS or those who fly there on a regular basis.

Therefore we will allow access only to those who can properly ID themselves.

Thank you for your understanding.

@metalhead4664, so how do you define a “professional” pilot?

EGTK Oxford

@JasonC professional is defined as “following an occupation as means of livelihood or gain” (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/professional).

Pilots, who earn a living with their profession. That should in probably 98% (if not even more) require a commercial license.

Very elitist and segregating. If the idea was to hook up users of the airport and get to know the people at both ends of the microphone, then this should include the non “professional” users.

Rather disappointing and showing some of what is wrong about aviation.

Jason,

give it a pass. I wouldn’t want to be in a meeting where the people think they are an elite group because they earn their money with flying.

Quite to the contrary. I think it’s a huge
privilege to be only a “private” pilot (however you would define that).

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

@boscomantico, I fully intend to give it a pass. Was just very surprised with the tone of the post. I wonder if Ryanair pilots that are paying to fly count?

Professional can also mean “worthy of or appropriate to a professional person; competent, skilful, or assured.” ie just the sort of person who might think interacting with ATC could be worthwhile for both parties.

Last Edited by JasonC at 17 Jun 07:13
EGTK Oxford

I’m sorry to hear that this is perceived this way, however, the BBQ is not meant to be a “meet-and-greet”, but a professional forum to exchange needs and expectations in a most direct way from the relevant other side of the microphone, in order to improve the quality of our service. Relevant other side being our main costumers, which as an international airport happens to be the before mentioned group of pilots.

If you are interested in a “meet-and-greet” between the users of the airport, then feel free to organize such event and we will be more than happy to spread the word, as well as offering advice when it comes to organization.

Last Edited by metalhead4664 at 17 Jun 07:19

Jason,

obviously, I knew you wouldn’t be interested to participate…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

There are private pilots who do almost a “commercial” level of hours in the European IFR system. I did 189hrs in 2014, most of it IFR…

And most commercial pilots do not get involved in flight planning. They get a pack handed to them by OPS, or they buy routepacks for c. €50/trip from certain companies, especially in Germany.

And like many private pilots I have a commercial license: a CPL/IR

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
34 Posts
Sign in to add your message