Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Do You Issue Tickets on Private Flights?

I am more like Achim … there’s no insurance for all the risks in life. I do tell everybody who wants to hear it that flying in small aircraft actually does hold certain risks. They can decide if they want to go. But I will not start issueing tickets.

Personally I don’t worry much about these things. Life is full of risk, the ultimate one is that you die one day.

Exactly. Losing the willingness to evaluate and accept risk is an illness that’s increasingly a problem in modern society. I’ve profited substantially for decades by limiting my insurance expenses, and I think I’ll continue to do so.

Note that in specific case your liability remains the same whether or not you issue a ticket (which was the main thrust of the thread).

Risk evaluation and acceptance beyond the Easy Rider type slogans means you and/or your estate can shoulder that liability in case things do not go as planned. The estate of a deceased passenger might have a different view to risk and compensation, and the law is on their side. Additionnally the transport of passengers by air against payment is legally subject to insurance, regardless of one’s attitude towards risk.

Last Edited by Shorrick_Mk2 at 24 Jun 16:13

Most of the time I fly commercially and we don’t issue tickets. Never did in any company for which we flew. Our company lawyer doesn’t seem to have a problem with that.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Flyer59 wrote:

Flyer59 24-Jun-15 15:07 #11
I am more like Achim … there’s no insurance for all the risks in life. I do tell everybody who wants to hear it that flying in small aircraft actually does hold certain risks. They can decide if they want to go. But I will not start issueing tickets.

I was wondering if offering drinks is against the air law while flying GA?

But seriously doesnt your insurance cover you for liability? Even if you are at fault.

I think the American cancer of lawsuits has arrived here in Europe. Either that or there are a lot of Perry Mason fans, Law and Disorder fans.

KHTO, LHTL

at fault.

There are many different flavors of “at fault”. And when talking insurance and lawsuits, it all depends on that.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 24 Jun 20:38
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Let me just add a little note, for scenarios where pilot fault affects the liability.

In GA there is no CVR/FDR so usually nobody can tell what really happened. The UK law eliminates passenger liability unless the pilot is found negligent, but that just means everyone else has a great financial incentive to lie about what happened. The lawyers get paid more if that is the outcome, too.

Insurance won’t cover contractual liability, which is why that Avidyne clause is so controversial.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@what_next, since Montreal the tickets on triplicata form aren’t a requirement anymore. Anything that substantiates the agreement of carriage (like an e-ticket or even an email) is good enough – and I bet all your companies had some sort of booking paperwork for each flight. Clients don’t just show up like they do at the taxi rank :-)

@Peter, unless the UK has opted out of Montreal (unlikely) you’ll find an UK pilot is liable regardless of fault if he is being paid for carriage. Also note that the jurisdiction of passenger residence applies preferentially – so you could well be sued outside the UK.

Sure; I was referring to private flights.

(On a crappy android keyboard – this is the first and last trip I am doing without a laptop)

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message