Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How many pilots move from flying to sailing...

Skippering a large privately owned sailing yacht has become a very well paid career. Demand is high and the lifestyle good as long as long periods on board are to your liking. I would thoroughly receommend this as a career, and one probably least likely to be effected by all the usual calamaties, including even the current one.

Fuji_Abound wrote:

Demand is high and the lifestyle good as long as long periods on board are to your liking

Yes, so it looks. I haven’t thought about it as that, but this viking ship thing alone is a big thing. Several are sailing along the US coast, and also here. Typically they travel back and forth from Norway to the UK and Ireland in the summer season, and around the coast of Norway, Denmark, Sweden. It’s a tourist thing. The tourists are part of the crew apparently, but they need proper crew that are used to the sea and know how to maneuver these things.

World wide i would think the demand is really high indeed for crew who can sail. It’s a thing of today. 100% environmental, fresh air, etc etc.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Before flying I had a commercial yachtmaster ticket and regularly used to crew at Cowes week (but that was more for the women and the booze, neither of which happens in aviation).
Sailing is great, flying is great.
I often find myself flying over a racing fleet on the solent thinking, “I bet they’re having fun” and then when I’m on a yacht I look up and see a SEP and think, “I bet he’s having fun”!
Time and money are the rulers.

Forever learning
EGTB

@LeSving

Very interesting to see!

Two interesting points for me:

1. Such a large boat (50ft) being open – undecked and without a cabin. I cannot tell if it is fully open from the picture.

2. Such a (relatively!) small boat with a square sail on a yard (as you call it a raw sail). In my experience square sails would only be on boats big enough to be called ships, and everything smaller would have fore-and-aft sails (a sne-seil as you call it). The one you have shown is what we would call a gaff rigged sloop, or possibly a gunter rig depending on how steep an angle that upper spar (the gaff) is at.

If you buy one, I will gladly come and help with the sailing! It looks like it would have very nice sailing characteristics.

EGLM & EGTN

Graham wrote:

Such a large boat (50ft) being open – undecked and without a cabin. I cannot tell if it is fully open from the picture.

It has a aft cabin. The exact sizes varies from builder to builder, and original buyer. Typically they are 40-50 feet. They can be as small as 36 feet, but smaller and they would no longer be called Fembøring, but Åttring. Also they normally have an aft cabin. These wooden boats are built on “feeling” and tradition/experience and per order, rather than drawings. You can see the cabin better here:

They are fast sailers. Lots of stories about people in large (40+ feet) modern sail boats being passed by a Fembøring, but only when the wind is from the aft

Graham wrote:

Such a (relatively!) small boat with a square sail on a yard (as you call it a raw sail). In my experience square sails would only be on boats big enough to be called ships, and everything smaller would have fore-and-aft sails (a sne-seil as you call it). The one you have shown is what we would call a gaff rigged sloop, or possibly a gunter rig depending on how steep an angle that upper spar (the gaff) is at.

My son called it “gaffel” rigged, which I guess is the same as gaff rigged. According to him the “raw sail” is preferable when the wind is from the aft, but rather slow to sail upwind with. Rigged with for-aft, it becomes a better all rounder, but at least two people are needed to get the speed (if I understood it right). There is no deep keel on them. They are also excellent to row. These boats were the “SUV” for people along the coast for centuries, for travelling and fishing.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Thanks for the photos LeSving, those are some cool boats

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Actually it is a really good plan for going down wind, and always remember gentlemen never go to wind.

Where do you put the Genset, washing machine, hob and oven and water maker?

Fair winds and happy flying.

Where do you put the Genset, washing machine, hob and oven and water maker?

He he. It depends on what you want to do. To bring the comfort of you home outside, or to simply go outside. Open wooden boats with raw sail (square sail), is not for everyone I guess. They are difficult to sail, and a 50 feet boat requires 8-10 persons. A modern sail boat can be sailed alone, and with all the comforts in the world.

That is also a nice thing about sailing or boating in general. There are so many different things you can do, and no one else care whatever you do. Some travel the whole summer in a kayak. Others won’t set their foot in a boat unless it has 2×400 HP diesel, showers, radar etc etc. It’s still just a big family.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

He he. It depends on what you want to do. To bring the comfort of you home outside, or to simply go outside. Open wooden boats with raw sail (square sail), is not for everyone I guess. They are difficult to sail, and a 50 feet boat requires 8-10 persons. A modern sail boat can be sailed alone, and with all the comforts in the world.

That is also a nice thing about sailing or boating in general. There are so many different things you can do, and no one else care whatever you do. Some travel the whole summer in a kayak. Others won’t set their foot in a boat unless it has 2×400 HP diesel, showers, radar etc etc. It’s still just a big family.

It is a big family, and I am sure you know I was only teasing.

It is a wonderful vessel, and looks beautiful as well.

I saw a boat similar to this and asked the owner how much they are new. The reply was 300k euros. I thought this was quite funny because it it quite similar to the price of a plane, and in both cases you seem to get very little for your money

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message