Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ditching accidents, life rafts, jackets and equipment, training and related discussion

@alioth wrote:

We use SEMS.

Do they offer long term renting ? How much is it for one year ?

From France, maintaining a Survival 1400-1 raft is not trivial.
I have contacted several companies, most of them can’t deal with Survival.
CEMG is the only one who could, but offered 1100 euros w/o VAT and w/o freight for the 5 years overhaul (gaz cartridge exchange).

SEMS offered the best deal: 350£ w/o VAT + 95£ w/o VAT for return.
But it remains expensive, and freight is a real pain (“dangerous good”).

Michael suggested to contact companies specialized in boats (plenty in Marseille), but have not found one able to deal with Survival products yet. Could be a good option !

However, if sending is the only option, I thought: why not to the US ?
Actually, the Survival informations about servicing are based on much lower cost… Any idea of company in the US ?

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 11 Jul 20:25

Another possibility worth a look is to purchase overhaul kits from Survival Products, and get a local liferaft overhauler to do the job.

If there is no certification required (and AFAIK a life raft is not mandatory equipment in GA, Europe, private flight) then it should be possible.

Shipping to/from the US is not going to be easier than shipping to say SEMS in the UK, because the “hazardous cargo” still applies.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Winslow rafts are more expensive to purchase, but according to Aviation Consumer they’re head and shoulders above the rest in all respects, especially safety (double tube, double floor, ladder, etc). Jet Aviation in Zurich services them in Switzerland, which needs to be done every 3 years. Don’t know about other service locations in Europe, but Winslow could say.

Vince

Last Edited by chflyer at 12 Jul 04:52
LSZK, Switzerland

If I recall correctly Winslow are substantially larger and heavier and more expensive

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

There are various rafts sold into the GA market which start at 20kg and go well above that. We had several threads on that here. Even allowing for the extra motivation if you are ditching, you need a lot of muscle to move say a 25kg one.

Once, my Survival Products 10kg one was away being overhauled (and was delayed by a wait for parts from the USA) and I rented a 20kg raft for a few weeks. It was a UK made one, high grade RFD, and about 25kg. Very hard for me to move!

Administrator

Peter_Mundy wrote:

If I recall correctly Winslow are substantially larger and heavier and more expensive

We have a Winslow and it is 17kg including a Watermaker (desalination device). Before we crossed the Atlantic in 2014 I read all about rafts I could find on the internet, (I think all the sources have already been mentioned in this combined thread) and appears to be consensus that the Winslows are very good.

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

I didn’t read the full thread, but I had the same issue when choosing a good, lightweight raft for our aircraft.

A few times I used a Solas 4-Pax raft and the bloody thing was huge. Maybe not an issue in bigger planes, but it certainly would be in the smaller Cessnas/Pipers, etc.
Only after seeing my friends Survival 4-6 person raft, I decided that’s the one to go for. Its nearly smaller then my wifes handbag…lol

They are pricey rafts, but I managed to pick one up on ebay for a great price, 3 years old in mint condition, so I would definitely recommend the Survival products.

cheers

Evo400

All the survival equipment is only as good as your mental preparation to use it along with getting accurate information out on your position to aid rescue.

I was lucky enough to attend a ditching training session hosted by the Royal Navy a few years back and this focus to on cold water survival and the emphasis was on cold water shock and how debilitating it was, the survival times in cold water are frighteningly short and so getting out of the water quickly is essential.

For any sort of survival time in UK waters ( even in the summer ) you must have a life raft, once you are in the raft a PLB is the best way of getting found along with a strobe light and destress flares.

Getting a rescue started before you hit the water is also a good thing, start with the ATC unit you are working but also broadcast on 121.5, most of you have GPS units that will give you a bearing & distance from the nearest VOR/NDB/Airways intersection, If you broadcast this position you will be heard by all the airliners who now constantly monitor 121.5 even just before you hit the water. RAD/DIS is a simple input to any modern FMS to produce a fix that the NAV system will take the rescue helicopter directly to your position, this may technically not the most accurate way to broadcast a fix but it is simple and less likely to be misheard or mis entered into the FMS of the rescue helicopter and once on the way to your RAD / DIS position the rescue services can refine your position via the PLB if you have one or once within a mile or so visually. Even if you are sure that you have been seen using a smoke flare is helpfull to the helicopter pilot first to keep you in sight and second to assess the wind speed and direction.

My own sea crossing preparations are a life raft and all persons in a life jacket with a PLB & day/night destress flare attached ( with all briefed on the use of the equipment ) when in the air one com box set to 121.5 and one NAV unit set to display RAD/DIS from a nearby aviation radio aid.

If you are high enough when your engine quits and you get the first message out soon enough the rescue helicopter will be in the air before you have hit the water, if you broadcast constantly your position until you are just above the water there will be a hundred airliners who will hear that position and can relay that to the rescue services.

While this is all focused on european operations all airliners world wide monitor 121.5 and across the North Atlantic air to air traffic information is passed on 123.45 ( along with the baseball scores )

I recently purchased the Winslow 4p raft shown in the last post on page 5 (post #37??). Model is 40ULO. Here is a current link:

http://winslowliferaft.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Ultra-Light-Offshore.pdf

I don’t know where the 20-30kg numbers come from. The Winslow unit is 13.7kg (a bit less than quoted on the pdf) and I feel comfortable that I could haul it out from behind the right seat if needed. It is bigger than the Survival unit pictured in previous posts, but still quite compact … about the size of a flat duffle bag. Vacuum-packed. It is indeed an expensive unit, but that is a very individual evaluation. >90% of ditchings are survived, and most of the deaths are due to hypothermia (yes, even in the Mediterranean). The key is the time to rescue. Hypothermia is deadly in minutes in the N. Atlantic and perhaps hours in the Mediterranean. If one is out there overnight one can get very very cold. I reviewed the AC articles and the ladder, double wall (reduced puncture risk), double-floor (warmth), ballast (to aid climbing in), and cover are what sold me on the Winslow. Quote and purchase was a very satisfying experience…. and very prompt & professional. 7 days to produce (made to order) and here within 3 days from the US. I don’t know who services them in the UK, but Jet Aviation does it in Switzerland. Needs servicing every 3 years. I believe the Survival unit specifies every year (if you follow the recommendation). Survival as a company did not get a good review by AC. I guess you get what you pay for and that includes customer service which many people don’t consider as important as price. I’m happy and satisfied with my decision, as everyone should be regardless of the choice made.

Last Edited by chflyer at 03 Aug 14:20
LSZK, Switzerland

What is the cost of an overhaul of the 4 person one above, Chflyer?

I normally get mine done every 2-3 years, by SEMS. It’s about £150, but can be more if the cylinder needs changing.

14kg is quite reasonable. There are some much bigger ones out there. I had one on loan which was over 20kg.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message