Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

4-years old parking fine from Italy - pay or ignore?

So last week I received a parking fine (50 EUR) from a trip to Italy in 2011 from a Swiss collection agency – payable within one week.

I have no idea if I committed the parking offence – I probably did. I remember being there during that time frame, at least.

I’ve researched this a bit. That letter is invalid in Germany. There are some intra-European regulations for fees above 70 EUR than can be enforced cross-border, but Italy opted not to partake.

However, if you run into a police control in Italy before the offence has lapsed in Italy (the limitation is 5 years, so one more year to go), they can enforce it and add overdue fines and what not. Now, that is rather unlikely – UNLESS of course you happen to fly private aeroplanes into Italy. I remember the last time I landed in Italy (Trento), we were inspected by the border (?) police, regardless of Schengen etc. We had to produce our passports/IDs and wait a couple of minutes for them to check our documents.

Would you pay?

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Is it Intrum Justitia?

Would you pay?

I would, but then, I have to travel a lot for work and can’t risk to be held up anywhere for long about such small items.

I once witnessed a similar case, but with Switzerland. We did an intermediate stop in Zürich where our passengers had a quick meeting at the airport before flying onward to somewhere else. At the border control, they told one of the passengers (must have been quite embarrassing for him…): “Your colleagues can go inside, but you don’t go anywhere until you have paid your speeding ticket from last year”. But that of course is Switzerland…

EDDS - Stuttgart

Is it Intrum Justitia?

Would have to check at home (weekend), but I think it’s not…

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message