Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Insurance against loss of license for medical reasons

Hi everyone,

I wonder if you are aware of the existence of an insurance for GA pilots in case we lose our license for medical reasons? I am 40, realising my dream of becoming a PPL/IR pilot but somehow would love to protect the financial investment I am doing on this dream.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Fernando

EGSU, United Kingdom

Google “loss of license insurance + pilots”. I don’t think it really applies in the PPL context though.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I used to know an airline pilot whose Class 1 was insured for GBP 250k i.e. if he lost it and thus lost his job he would get the 250k payout. That was a standard package of his employment i.e. the employer paid the insurance premium. I think it was Easyjet.

I’ve never heard of this for GA. In the UK, one general principle in insurance is that you need to have an insurable interest and I wonder if that can be established for private flying where there is no economic loss if you lose your medical? Especially as, they could argue, you can downgrade to the LAPL/NPPL or whatever and “still fly afterwards”…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Fernando wrote:

I am 40, realising my dream of becoming a PPL/IR pilot but somehow would love to protect the financial investment I am doing on this dream.

You can insure anything, not just financial investments, as long as you can somehow quantify a loss. Insurance against “unwise” spending of surplus money will be a hard one though. What you are doing is protecting yourself against your own “stupidity” so to speak. The actual loss in this case is undefinable, not even existing. An insurance company would probably look at it from the opposite perspective. If you want to insure your investments, they will actively or indirectly prevent you from doing such stupid things as spending loads of money on useless stuff. You could end up making your other insurances more expensive.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

If you lose your medical but are not a commercial pilot, you will end up much richer anyhow.

kwlf wrote:

If you lose your medical but are not a commercial pilot, you will end up much richer anyhow.

Exactly

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

kwlf wrote:

Thats rich, really rich!! ( I really need a laugh insert, a smile or wink is a not strong enough emotion.)

KHTO, LHTL

Thanks guys for all your answers and different perspectives. You raised interesting issues like the insurable interest.

I will continue my research and keep you updated about my findings.

Wishing you all a great weekend.

Fernando

EGSU, United Kingdom
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message