Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ultra dry ever wet

http://ultraeverdry-tap.co.uk/index.html

I have seen on youtube some of their videos, and it’s impressing!
Nissan apparently has tested the product on one of their car…

and also

They do talk about the possibility to use their product for anti-icing, but do you have any feedback concerning the use of such a product in aviation (commercial or general) ?

Last Edited by Emmanuel at 23 Aug 13:39
LSGL

I just found some posts on this site about 2 years ago!!
http://www.euroga.org/forums/flying/959-ultra-ever-dry-possible-ice-protection#post_12908
Too bad it doesn’t work with aircrafts…
Any improvements done for our birds?

LSGL

It won’t work for ani icing as the droplets have a different form when impacting at speed.
A friend of Peter has conducted some no successful tests.

United Kingdom

It may well great as in the videos for repelling water and mud but it does not do anything to prevent ice accretion in flight. That was fairly comprehensively tested.

It would have been great if it worked. The solutions we in GA have for airframe ice protection are all very poor. Rubber boots can fail with certain kinds of ice (they can form a bridge) and don’t prevent icing except on the leading edge. TKS works great until the €200’s worth of the stuff has got used up, and makes a big mess, and adds a lot of weight (about 50kg).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter, I agree with you for the TKS.
Had the system on my Saratoga, and had also some problems (my fault) because I didn’t prime it every flight and I’ve had some frights once when I severely iced up and unable to make it melt on time, because it took minutes (ages) for the air in the conducts to be removed and fluid to melt the ice.
Fortunately, I got out of those icing conditions quickly but what a bad memory!!
Now I got boots but I plan ahead to avoid as much as possible icing.

LSGL

The TKS system does generally not need to be “primed” during preflight in order to “get the air out of the lines”. Maybe that was a poor installation in the Saratoga, but I doubt it.

The point is that once you already have an ice cover on the panels, the fluid has “a hard time” weeping out of the pores and over the entire leading edges. It takes time to remove the ice right over the panels before it can properly do its job. That’s why its important to activate the system before you a cloud that might contain ice.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

The TKS system does generally not need to be “primed” during preflight in order to “get the air out of the lines”.

If I remember correctly the supplement, it has to.

The point is that once you already have an ice cover on the panels, the fluid has “a hard time” weeping out of the pores and over the entire leading edges. It takes time to remove the ice right over the panels before it can properly do its job. That’s why its important to activate the system before you a cloud that might contain ice.

To be honest, I’ve had to take 10 or 15 degrees to avoid the only TCU in a tempest of blue sky all round right on my way, and right after passing it, I was IMC at the top of some little alto cumulus behind that TCU thinking it was all ok, I could even see patches of clear blue sky above.
It has lasted less than 2 or 3 mn, but I picked more clear ice during these 3 mn than in 40mn in a stationary front I flew through that day 1 hour later (rim & mixed ice but no more than few milimeters). I knew I’d have an icing situation during that flight so I was at FL70 with a freezing slightly below, but I never expected icing up and that fast with these little clouds…
With TKS on and pouring, it took less than 15mn to get rid of the accretion, but I’ve been shocked to see how fast it can build!!

LSGL

A TKS system needs several minutes until all panels are starting to weep. No need to do this on the ground unless you take off into IMC with OAT < 10 degrees, although it is a good idea to do this from time to time see if it actually works. I once flew a SR22 where one of the panels didn’t work (manufacturing/installation fault, the hose was connected but the connection in the panel was still plugged…), wouldn’t care to discover that in flight.

Five minutes are a loooong time…

The SR22 FIKI version acquired an ultra-high pump setting to deal with ice acquired when the TKS panels were dry.

Biggin Hill

I wonder whether this stuff would ‘repel’ dust. Here in Spain in summer planes get covered by a very fine dust, either inside or outside a hangar. This does not come off in flight, only by washing. So maybe if I treat the plane with this the dust would not adhere and come off in flight?

Private field, Mallorca, Spain
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message