Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GPS for non 3G ipad

Hello
is there a way to connect a iphone with a non 3g ipad to use the gps reciever from the iphone in the ipad

fly2000

No, you can only “tether” the internet connection, not the GPS data. Best solution is a Bluetooth GPS like the GNS2000, about € 70 at amazon or ebay

It is actually possible if both are jailbroken, I researched that once. Search for that in the cydia store. The problem being that the iPhone GPS is not that great without assistance anyways and the better solution being to just get a Bluetooth GPS receiver.

I am very happy with the GNS 2000 one, works well with the iPad so far.

Fly for your dreams
LOAV

Yes; it must be possible if they are jailbroken, because for many years there has been a product called GPSGATE which allows an NMEA GPS to be shared among a number of clients. (I’ve not used it since I didn’t find it reliable when I tried it some years ago).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

How u’d connect such bluetooth GPS receiver to a JeppView app on a non 3G iPad?
Any references if such receiver?

Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium

A non 3G Ipad still has bluetooth. What caught a lot of people out is that it doesn’t have a GPS.

But you can’t use a standard “NMEA” GPS with any IOS device. It has to be a special Apple version which costs 2x as much :smile;

Administrator

There’s more than one app in the iOS Appstore that connect an NMEA GOS with any iOS device. NMEA GPS’s like Bad Elf connect with iOS without a problem.

The best GPS for the iPad is the GNS2000, price at amazon is: € 79

Jailbreaking is not necessary.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 29 Oct 14:46

Thanks @flyer59

Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium

This must be very recent. I seem to recall Apple changed their bluetooth [in]compatibility recently. Which IOS version does it work from?

This whole subject has been done to death over years. On the very first IOS products, Apple obsoleted all bluetooth GPSs at a stroke, by going for an incompatible protocol and by restricting bluetooth connectivity.

Administrator

I never had a problem, but maybe there was a problem with an early iOS

17 Posts
Sign in to add your message