Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GPS for non 3G ipad

Definitely – see e.g. here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Certainly iOS 8.3 caused a problem with external GPS, fixed in 8.4 then broken again with 9.0 and fixed supposedly with 9.1

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I think i will give it anyway a miss as I just wanted to try Jepp VFR it said on there HP for ios 6+ but when i went to the app store it told me IOS 8 minimum and I dont want to upgrade my IOS from 7
so I guess I stay with my trusted Garmin 296

fly2000

Certainly iOS 8.3 caused a problem with external GPS, fixed in 8.4 then broken again with 9.0 and fixed supposedly with 9.1

Yes, i didn’t think about those bugs! But that’s what it was: bugs

I dont want to upgrade my IOS from 7

why not? I upgrade all (5) devices immediately when a new version is released. Of course every now and then a bug is introduced, but also quickly fixed

Peter,

the link you posted leads to a forum with posts from 2010 and 2011 … not very relevant for today. I can’t even remember 2010 …

IOS6 didn’t support standard bluetooth GPSs. I know that because I have one here.

There is a good reason for not upgrading to IOS8 because it blocks access to the Documents directory which enables very useful sideloading of data into certain apps.

This bluetooth issue is well known to certain people reading EuroGA and hopefully some of them will post the details. If there was a change to IOS so an app can now pair with any old NMEA GPS and use it, that is news.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message