Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A pilot watch (mechanical, of course)

$5800 is cheap on that price landscape.

A 10k (new price) IWC is 500 for a fixed price service, on which the IWC conmen (conmen but ever so polite, writing “thank you with entrusting us with your timepiece” or some such) will con you out of a further 1.8k by saying the ceramic case is scratched and they won’t touch it unless you replace that.

Anyway, getting divorced for 5.8k is incredibly good value Normally, the old joke applies: why is divorce so expensive? Because it’s worth it!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Anyway, getting divorced for 5.8k is incredibly good value Normally, the old joke applies: why is divorce so expensive? Because it’s worth it!

That depends on the woman. Or the man.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

An article from GQ: the skim-read conclusion is that many people who wear expensive/vintage watches don’t set the time on them. Either random time, or stopped aesthetically at 10:10. It’s about form over function as a fashion item, and phones are more accurate. I suspect it’s a tacit concession of unreliability.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

That’s hilarious

But about right for that “men’s magazine but without the nudes” publication. I recall reading, many years ago, an article where a guy wrote in asking why, when he is in the public toilet, his willy looks so much shorter than those of men standing next to him. He was given a long explanation to do with the angles; looking down on yours makes it look shorter than looking sideways at others…

I don’t think mechanical watches are less reliable than electronic ones; in fact I would be amazed if the €800 Garmin (e.g.) watches were especially reliable, especially if the waterproofing is being tested with daily swimming and such. My IWC is worn 24/7/365, swimming, skiing, the lot, never comes off except for airport x-rays. The mech ones are just a blatent ripoff, perfected by the Swiss lifestyle watch industry with various restrictive practices e.g. not making parts available to others (vertical service integration), refusal to work on a watch if there is a scratch on a ceramic case (effectively rendering it worthless unless you pay up another €xxxx), not returning replaced parts, etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message