Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Discussion of language proficiency issues and licenses

No surprises here, @LFHNflightstudent. You just confirmed that anyone with a French PPL gets French LP level 6 (although rwy20’s experience differs a little bit)

There only a few LP examination centers in France which are qualified to deliver ELP level 6. It is very clearly stated in the list published by DGAC.

Looking at the VAC for LFHN I note that it does not say “FR only” although there is no ATS whatsoever.

LFPT, LFPN
Jan_Olieslagers 01-Dec-15 18:26 #100
OTOH I cannot help having some doubt about the R/T permit being included with the French U/L license – for the sheer fact that Belgium does require a separate R/T test for pilots of balloons and microlights.

It’s just a box your instructor has to tick if he is satisfied with your French RT proficiency, and your license comes with the RT

http://www.developpement-durable.gouv.fr/IMG/pdf/ULM_epreuve_au_sol_v1.pdf
http://www.developpement-durable.gouv.fr/IMG/pdf/ULM_epreuve_en_vol_v1.pdf

Paris, France

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

OTOH I cannot help having some doubt about the R/T permit being included with the French U/L license – for the sheer fact that Belgium does require a separate R/T test for pilots of balloons and microlights.

This is a national thing and can differ from country to country. Somewhere (for some licences) the R/T you do while getting a licence (flying around with an instructor) is proof enough. Elsewhere it’s proven by passing theoretical and practical exam in that language (again, for some licences, not necessarily all). And somewhere you actually have to pass multiple exams (for some licences) – like one with a telecom regulator, another for VFR with an NAA and yet another for IFR plus mandatory approved language course before you can take the exam, stuff like that.

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

The company doing the test (verbatim) told me I was a native speaker with a level 6 but that only the DGAC could give this level and that I could take it up with them if I wanted to complain.

Yes, DGAC has a list of LPOs with levels they can give. Interesting, I can’t see AirEnglish there. Only DGAC in Paris can give Level 6 ELP for IFR it seems.

Looking at the VAC for LFHN I note that it does not say “FR only” although there is no ATS whatsoever.

Well, the very vast majority of non-ATS airfields in France is not FR-only.

There are only about two handfuls of non-ATS airfields in all of France which are “FR-only”.

I thought you knew better, Aviathor

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

I thought you knew better, Aviathor

I seldom visit A/A only airfields. I should probably do more of that. You meet interesting people. And I also speak FR so I probably do not pay much attention to that little detail.

Last A/A airfield I visited was LFNH Carpentras in September 2014. Now that I look at the VAC again, it is NOT FR only either. But I won’t draw a conclusion from two data points.

LFPT, LFPN

In France most airfields are A/A out of ATS hours.
If there is an IFR approach, it’s FR only out of ATS hours
If not, it depends on the airfield and I could not infer the rule.
For instance Jonzac radio mandatory but not FR only
Soulac radio not mandatory but FR only.

Paris, France

Piotr, I did have a look at the IAC charts to check what they were saying – they are free, I usually use Jeppesen but they are the DGAC version – and you are indeed right for most airfields outside of ATS it is indeed FR only, probably because you mix with the VFR traffic in the circuit. My understanding is that since SERA cam in IFR pilots are supposed to have EN – is that correct?

Last Edited by LFHNflightstudent at 01 Dec 21:39
LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Piotr_Szut wrote:

Soulac radio not mandatory but FR only.

Since radio isn’t mandatory, I can go there anyway, I just have to keep my mouth shut (well, finger of the PTT button).

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

My understanding is that since SERA cam in IFR pilots are supposed to have EN – is that correct?

I think it came in with Part-FCL. See the old familiar No 1178/2011

FCL.055 Language proficiency

(d) Specific requirements for holders of an instrument rating (IR) or en-route instrument rating (EIR). Without prejudice to the paragraphs above, holders of an IR or an EIR shall have demonstrated the ability to use the English language at a level which allows them to:
(1) understand all the information relevant to the accomplishment of all phases of a flight, including flight preparation;
(2) use radio telephony in all phases of flight, including emergency situations;
(3) communicate with other crew members during all phases of flight, including flight preparation.

(e) The demonstration of language proficiency and the use of English for IR or EIR holders shall be done through a method of assessment established by the competent authority

It’s older than that
https://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/dossier/texteregle/DIV_Instruction_20131_DNA_du_31_janvier_1993.pdf

If an IFR approach is published on an airfield, then
- out of ATS hours, you must speak French. It’s written in the above regulation dated 1993,
- during ATS hours, you may speak English if it’s a TWR service, if it’s an AFIS it depends on the airfield.

If no IFR approach is published then
- out of ATS hours, it depends on the airfield, and I don’t know if there is any rule, you just have to look at the chart,
- during ATS hours, you may speak English if it’s a TWR service, if it’s an AFIS it depends on the airfield.

Regarding ELP in France, you do need an ELP on your license, either in French or English. No doubt about that it’s in Part FCL.
If you don’t have a French ELP (and have an English one), may you speak French on the radio ?
I think that
- you don’t need a French ELP. Nobody can prove that, as you cannot prove that a requirement does not exist, but so far nobody has come up showing a piece of legislation requiring a French ELP;
- you need a French “aptitude à la radiotéléphonie en langue française”, but I cannot substantiate that because I could not find the relevant piece of legislation.

Last Edited by Piotr_Szut at 02 Dec 09:53
Paris, France

@Piotr_Szut, what you quoted has nothing to do with

My understanding is that since SERA cam in IFR pilots are supposed to have EN

Martin already gave the correct answer, it came with PART-FCL.

Sign in to add your message