Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and general aviation, UK leaving EASA, etc (merged)

My money is on 4hr GAR for all arrivals from the EU, 24hr for Switzerland etc. Same as now.

Why do you see a difference for EU and Switzerland in the future?

There is good reason now (no customs needed for the EU) but not post 1 Jan is there is no agreement on customs.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Only because not changing anything is the simplest thing.

They might make all of “Europe” on a 4hr GAR. That would be nice.

If they went for 24hrs that would kill most GA travel.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes 24h notice and/or land in non-based airport will surely kill one day trips, it’s not on the table now as no one has ressouces to change GA conscessions as priority is Dover port but I stilm see it as an easy hanging fruit for “symbolic political actions” with zero resistance….

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

The UK isn’t really doing symbolic stuff to hit the EU. The UK is a bit like the typical divorcing man; just happy to get out of the arrangement while still having a life afterwards, and revenge isn’t a priority. It is doing some partly symbolic stuff for domestic consumption, but making the GAR 24hr PNR would be 100% shooting oneself in the foot, 99.9% of the population doesn’t even know what it is, the boating community doesn’t need it anyway, and while it would deprive some French airports of a fair bit of business, France doesn’t appear to care at all about its provincial airports going bust; if they cared they would have returned Immigration to something like 100 airports from which they removed it years ago. IMHO, French police enjoys showing everyone that they are completely disconnected from economic reality

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

but making the GAR 24hr PNR would be 100%

That I agree with.

But my fear is that

Only because not changing anything is the simplest thing.

this part is true, and they interpret as:
“Present situation:
Legislation says if customs presence required then 24 hours notice.
If customs not required, then 4 hours notice.
We’re not changing anything….we don’t have the resources to change and legislation would take months anyway. EU now requires customs so it’s 24 hours”.

I hope not, because that would really mess me up. Most of my EU trips involve a stop in the UK in both directions.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

dublinpilot wrote:

I hope not, because that would really mess me up. Most of my EU trips involve a stop in the UK in both directions.

You need an airplane with better range. Seriously – I haven’t flown a PA 28 in many years so not really up to speed on these machines, but can’t you make Belgium or France non-stop?

We have 12 hrs GAR here (for non-port of entry landing sites) – it’s for the police, and they do seem to understand that 12 hrs in advance for a VFR flight is at best guesswork for the actual arrival or departure time. I’ve arrived many hours after the time I’ve put on the form due to weather, and there’s never been any comeback. But then again, the Police haven’t ever shown up in the last 12 years or so; the GAR for the CTA is a complete farce that needs abolishing (especially as sailors don’t have to do it).

Last Edited by alioth at 04 Dec 08:59
Andreas IOM

Graham wrote:

Sorry, perhaps I confused ‘getting the passport’ with ‘ensuring one has citizenship’ for these purposes.

Understandable, because I thought the same. If Peter already has Czech citizenship, there’s no need for an urgency, as he can get the documents (EU passport) anytime at the Czech embassy in London. Same for any other EU citizen living in the UK without documents from their European home country.

My own passport has long since expired, as I don’t usually travel beyond Schengen, and my German Identity Card (Personalausweis) is sufficient for that. The last, and only time my passport got stamped was while travelling to Israel, and I believe that automatically excludes me from travelling to Arab countries with that same passport (Germany issues second passports for people with this particular problem)

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

If Peter already has Czech citizenship, there’s no need for an urgency, as he can get the documents (EU passport) anytime at the Czech embassy in London. Same for any other EU citizen living in the UK without documents from their European home country.

So long as UK-EU relations do not deteriorate to the point where one side or the other moves to prevent dual citizenship….

EGLM & EGTN

dublinpilot wrote:

Assuming the stop is for fuel, not to visit friends and family, couldn’t you claim a “technical stop” is exempt, 2nd freedom of the air, if memory serves (damn you, ATPL exams).

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland
Sign in to add your message