Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Can you get skis in the back of your plane?

Years ago I read of an “approved mod” for a TB20 whereby a tubular channel was made into the rear hull section and you could shove skis in there.

However a friend with a TB20 tells me this is pointless because his ~1.75m skis fit into the back, diagonally, extending into one of the back seats, so the plane is a 3-seater only. But it is a 3-seater anyway if you carry a raft reachable by the pilot, and most definitely if you carry an oxygen cylinder whose valve and pressure gauge are visible to and accessible to the pilot…

The skis need to go into a ski bag because they have sharp edges.

How do other people do this?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, they fit.The Mustang has an aft baggage extension that allows for skis.

Last Edited by JasonC at 22 Dec 23:21
EGTK Oxford

While I would far rather ski my own skis any reasonable resort these days has excellent skis for hire so I cant see the point in adding these to the luggage especially if there is a struggle getting them in anyway.

When I skied the Bugaboos it all goes in the helicopter but then you havent flown in and its fitted out for the job, but on the basis that you are unlikely to go sking alone then two people, luggage and skis, including boots which are far more important into somewhere like Meribel and it seems a lot more sensible to just hire the skis there.

I have given up carting skis about. I rent them for fairly small money and when you rent the slightly upmarket ones they are the latest model which have been sharpened and waxed.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Agree with this. While I own skis, they are a pain to cart about. Boots are what matters.

EGTK Oxford

The best is to mount the skis under the airplane. :-)

Any place in the Alps has modern skis and boots for rent, i would not carry mine in the plane.

This is how the ski and snowboard fit into the PA46. You have to have ski bags or it will be a big mess. We always carry our own gear because if we fly to go skiing it is only a short duration trip and having no car at the destination renting gear for several persons and giving it back later on just takes huge amount of precious time.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Yes; renting skis makes sense but there may be reasons one may want to own them e.g. having a field near where one lives (which may occassionally have snow) and having zero rental facilities at home. Renting boots makes zero sense because they won’t fit

I can see a PA46, and probably all 6-seaters, are good for this sort of thing.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There’s no problems with Ski Boots that “don’t fit”. All the modern ski places in the Alps have a big selection of boots of all kinds and in all sizes. For a while when i started skiing again ten years ago i only rented the equipment, and it was always good. If you go skiing once a year for a week or two buying all that gear is such a waste of money.

Ok, if you really ski at home …

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 23 Dec 07:47
21 Posts
Sign in to add your message