Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Drinks and Food on longer flights?

Hello,

just wanted to know and pick up any suggestions how you carry/store drinks and food on longer flights in typical 4 seater aircrafts?
any suggestions for things such as "cupholders""cooling boxes" “trays”

would like to hear form you “how you do it!” and if you have maybe some pics for the installation

thanks

allready planing my long trips for 2016 lol

fly2000

The first thing to be considered is can you enter the airport with your drinks, there is nothing more the yoghurt police ( airport security ) like doing more than removing trivial items from people using the liquids rule, the greater status you have the more they enjoy giving you trouble……. A private aircraft owner will without doubt be better victim than an airline captain !

All drinks need to be in spill proof containers, I normally just have water, remember that Coca Cola and the like are highly corrosive and a spill could cost you huge amounts in structural repair.

All food stuff should be fairly dry and not make a mess if dropped ( and it will be ) the beetroot from your sandwich will end up on the white leather seats and you won’t know you have been sitting on it until you get out of the aircraft.

Check the volume of liquid refreshment on the aircraft and always have with you an empty wide necked bottle 1.5 times the size of the liquid refreshment volume aboard.

Last Edited by A_and_C at 28 Dec 13:31

I once received – as a give-away from some company – a very nice shaped small cooling box that is designed for four beer bottles. It fits very nicely between the two front seats on the floor in most aircraft I fly. On longer flights in summer with two POB, it’s really perfect: I fill it with two bottles of coke, two bottles of water, two musli bars or so and an ice-pack or two. I don’t have a picture unfortunately and wouldn’t know where to buy the exact same thing of that size.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany
EDMA, Germany

Concerning spill free containers and the like, if you are planning on flying high a half empty container or bottle may do funny things on the way up as well as on the way down.

LFPT, LFPN

My longest non stop was 5h. I have made sure to have water, sandwiches with sliced chees, Brie etc. all raped individually so if there is a need can be thrown back into the bag. As I also like to eat junk there were peanuts (dry roast, not salted) and chocolate bars and that’s it, just make sure not to eat to many cherries as the tummy will let you know while you are in the air. As for the emergency bottle, never carried one and never was in a need to use it, just control your liquid intake to a mouthful or two at any one time…then when you land you will notice that you have hardly touched the food but drank all your water.
Enjoy

Ben

Thanks to all the infos
as all our “modern aircrafts” dont have things like “cupholder” etc I also would like to know if anyone has a nice solution for this Also as we lack of a glove box

fly2000

The Cirrus has 4 cupholders, but I never use them. My kids do, sometimes.

I use mine. Nice place for a coffee to sit after walking out onto a cold ramp.

EGTK Oxford

Last year on a fairly long flight from SE UK to Lands End in a PA28, I discovered that ready-to-eat coconut chunks make a great flying snack (assuming you like coconut of course)! I decanted them from their original supermarket container into a resealable “lock ’n lock” one and found that picking at them now and again staved off any hunger pangs and, best of all, didn’t make me immediately want a drink! I will definitely be packing them in my bag for longer flights in future….

UK, United Kingdom
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message