Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA mandate TSA checks before issuing student pilot certificates

Certainly I could only take lessons after having been issued a document recognising me as a student pilot, and along with that a logbook into which to register each and every flight, including training with an instructor so not being PIC.

Every pilot needs a logbook, but there is no such thing as an issued “student license”. You need to be registered with the local CAA, but the submission of the documents is sufficient (Schülermeldung).

For the LAPL you need to see the doc just prior your first solo. For the PPL, you need it before the first lesson. But you can easily change from LAPL to PPL before your solo.

Useful for owner/pilots flying their own planes out in the country because they can take the exams when the want to carry passengers, without time pressure otherwise.

Do you think this will have a great impact? We don’t see much use of the LAPL in our flight school, only two out of 23 students go for the LAPL, three for the microlight license and the rest opted to train directly towards the PPL. Based on that I don’t think “easier” (read: incomplete) training would attract more people into flying.

Last Edited by mh at 11 Feb 15:16
mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Based on that I don’t think “easier” (read: incomplete) training would attract more people into flying.

I agree.

We had a thread on why the LAPL appears to be a failed product here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

mh wrote:

I don’t think “easier” (read: incomplete) training would attract more people into flying.

No, I don’t think it’ll make any difference in that regard. In the US, there have always been been people who would take the medical to get a student certificate, train through solo with an instructor, then continue flying solo without getting a private certificate. Often the guy owns the plane and has only ever flown that plane. It used to be that an FAA instructor endorsement for student solo flight had no time limit, so once signed off the guy could fly solo until the student certificate itself expired after two years. Today it’s 90 days for the endorsement but will become unlimited for the student certificate. Its not hard to understand that Supercub owning student pilots in Alaska or elsewhere, related or otherwise close to an instructor, will continue flying that way but now minus the time limit on the student license.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 11 Feb 15:35

there have always been been people who would take the medical to get a student certificate, train through solo with an instructor, then continue flying solo without getting a private certificate. Often the guy owns the plane.

That is a really funny angle!

One could do the same here in Europe but AFAIK nobody does because all the pre-certificate solo is done “on the instructor’s license” and he gets paid for that at the same rate as if he was in your RHS.

I recall one FI at “my” school telling me with a big smile that he had five students on solo flights that day and he was getting paid for flying time for all five

Is this not the case in the USA i.e. does an FAA CFI not get paid anything for the student’s pre-cert solo time?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If the 3 weeks part is correct, then this will surely do a lot of damage to the Florida 3 week schools. If you have to meet your instructor first (so they can verify your English level) and then you have to wait 3 weeks before doing any solo flights, it’s clearly not going to be possible to do the whole think in 3 weeks.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Peter wrote:

Is this not the case in the USA i.e. does an FAA CFI not get paid anything for the student’s pre-cert solo time?

I originally wrote something here about $25/hr to my Private instructor and no payment to him for my self-supervised and planned student solo time, then stupidly erased it…

Regardless of my ineptitude at managing posts, It’s hard for me to believe an instructor would charge for doing nothing. Ground instruction time, OK, but payment for sitting on the ground while a student pilot flies? Bizarre. US students are flying on their own certificate, nothing to do with the instructor assuming he’s signed them off for solo.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 11 Feb 17:35

My instructor didn’t get paid much for dual time (it worked out to about $25/hr)

In Europe, at least at the PPL level, instructors usually don’t earn any more either…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 11 Feb 17:17
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

One day my instructor came to the airport and said “I’m tired of screwing around with payment every time we fly. From now on its forty bucks every time I have to drive down to this God forsaken crap hole. Take it or leave it” I took it and from then forward we messed around on Sundays as long as we both wanted to.

Silvaire wrote:

requirement for a medical be shifted now from pre-solo to post private certificate

The medical was also a student license. They decoupled that…which means you can get the medical anytime during your training but before your license can be issued. The bigger problem for those delaying the exam is paying for all the training and then risking not passing the medical.

Last Edited by USFlyer at 11 Feb 17:29

@USFlyer, do you think student private pilots will starting in April be legal to fly solo without a medical certificate?

Sign in to add your message