Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Do you remember your first lesson?

06/08/79… yep, last century that was.
The aircraft had no electrics, no starter, GPS wasn’t born yet, we had no headsets, and the charts were stashed, in the office, only to be used for later cross-country flying.
HB-ODC, my logbook entry reads 0:48 as block time and “Introduction Flight” in the remarks… still, I remember the flight vividly, far better than my 1st solo actually.

FI: “hop in and take your seat”
Wannabe pilot: proceeds to climb into the forward seat
FI: “no no, take the rear seat. Solo flying is from the rear seat, so student flying is from the rear seat”
Wannabe pilot: takes the rear seat, and barely manages to fasten the lap only belt by himself
FI: “ok, now put your feet on the brakes whilst I go and swing the prop. I’ll shout my orders”
Wannabe pilot: looks down and the only thing he sees are these two minute metal tongues sticking out of the wooden floor. Stares back at the FI
FI, now with a slightly impatient tone: now, please use your heels to push on those pedals
Wannabe pilot: obeys, all whilst pondering as to the diminutive size and appearance of those brake pedals, the more so when compared to the real brake pedals of the DC-8 and DC-9 airliners he works on as a day job… the firsts of many wonderful surprises to come.

During the PPL course the FI proved himself to be a top notch pilot, whilst always riding on the sharp edge of total exasperation. Thanks to the wannabe pilot.
Said wannabe pilot soloed with 9:24hrs in his fresh logbook, and passed his PPL ride with exactly the minimum required of 35 hours.

Sweet memories

Last Edited by Dan at 11 Apr 13:24
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland
31 Posts
Sign in to add your message