Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

In-ear headsets

AdamFrisch wrote:

Also, as a side note, people should really look into the AKG AV100 ANR headsets as an option to Bose and Lightspeed. I love mine – great ANR, light, good battery times and it has built in map reading light!

I tried them and hated them. Poor ANR and audio quality. But maybe that is just me.

EGTK Oxford

I thought AKG had stopped making headsets for the aviation market but maybe I misunderstood

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I would like to buy a pair of in ear headsets but I live in Europe and most of them are made and sold in the US.

For example, the QT Halo can’t be purchased if you live outside of the US.

What are the headsets with the best support in Europe?

In my country there is only one store that is usually selling Clarity Aloft, but they don’t have them in stock right now.

LRPW, LRBS, Romania

I bought a Clarity Aloft from boutique.aero in France, they currently have it in stock. Apparently they ship to Romania.
Never needed any support therefore I cannot comment on this. Nothing bad to say about the store – shipment and delivery were quick and without a hitch.

etn
EDQN, Germany

etn wrote:

I bought a Clarity Aloft from boutique.aero in France, they currently have it in stock. Apparently they ship to Romania.
Never needed any support therefore I cannot comment on this. Nothing bad to say about the store – shipment and delivery were quick and without a hitch.

Thank you! How do you find the Aloft? Are you happy with them? I have only flown with over ear, but find them kind of uncomfortable.

LRPW, LRBS, Romania

I bought my CA directly from CA in the US. Haven’t had any need for support, but the support they have is the same no matter where you are. Ship it back, and they fix.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

I bought my CA directly from CA in the US. Haven’t had any need for support, but the support they have is the same no matter where you are. Ship it back, and they fix.

Thank you! Are you happy with yours? Would you recommend them versus A20 or similar?

LRPW, LRBS, Romania

Laurent_N wrote:

Thank you! How do you find the Aloft? Are you happy with them? I have only flown with over ear, but find them kind of uncomfortable.

I like them very much. They are light and do not interfere with glasses or hats. It is a completely different experience (particularly as I wear prescription glasses i.e. I have glasses on my nose 100% of the time.) If you happen to be in EDQN at some point in the near future I’d be happy to lend it to you for a flight.

In full disclosure, my installation has a weird issue with my Clarity Aloft (audio is garbled when transmitting on the radio; intercom is fine, though.) My Sennheiser and my friend’s David Clark do not show the issue. So far I could not trace down the root cause. It might – or might not – be related to the headset, or maybe a combination of headset + intercom. This is a pity, as it prevents me from using the Clarity, which is my favorite headset. As soon as I can I’ll bring the aircraft to Straubing (who did the installation) to look into it.

etn
EDQN, Germany

My CA Flex is my favorite headset to use right now but it is not for everybody. It is very expensive for what it is and despite what is said by some, it is very delicate and needs to be handled like an instrument. I prefer the sound quality and comfort over any other headset (I’ve tried most of them) but putting it on and taking it off is an operation, so much so that I have a set of tweezers in the cockpit to extract the speaker plugs from my ears and I feel that necessary to avoid damage. The lack of batteries makes up for some of that hassle.

I would not buy an in-ear headset if I were planning to use it to fly multiple planes regularly. I think they need to stay in one plane and not be transported in order to prevent damage. I use a Lightspeed Zulu if I’m flying with somebody else.

Through sheer stupidity I managed to destroy my CA not long after buying it, getting it wrapped up in an electric drill that I was using in the cockpit. CA rebuilt it for free, my only cost was one way shipping. I imagine it would be the same worldwide.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 25 Apr 14:37

Thank you @Silvaire and @etn!

I am trying to decide now between Axis , Clarity Aloft Classic and Faro.

I also looked at Halo but they don’t ship to Europe. Nanocomm very interesting and great price, however from reviews I haven’t seen a great noise reduction. CQ kind of unknown, very close to the price of Clarity Aloft with better support.

If you have any advice about the others (excepting Clarity Aloft which I think is great) please add it here.

Have you tested the in ear before buying? I am considering getting some regular in ear computer headphones just to see if I have any issue with these, but I keep the iPhone headphones on for about 8 – 10 hours/day (using them on the laptop as well, the only thing is that they are not inserted too much in the ear).

LRPW, LRBS, Romania
Sign in to add your message