Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Wingsuit flying

This is really impressive – wingsuit flying into a plane. Something you can do without needing an EASA Class 2

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Lame. James Bond did it without a wingsuit…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

It certainly is a lot of fun if you love parachuting. If they jump out of planes, they can be a danger to GA… you think you’re far enough away from the drop zone and then all of sudden one them zzoooommmmm….
The adrenaline junkies who’re flying 1m AGL don’t seriously pose a threat to anyone except themselves and maybe some deer. Or a tree.

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 29 Nov 17:11
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Most wing-suiters do indeed get down close to the terrain and follow it down; unlikely to come anywhere near a light GAer. Some do get around higher up but I suspect that they are sufficiently maneuverable to avoid encounters with any aircraft they come across. I would think that where they jump out of planes it would work very similar to parachute sites marked on charts and NOTAMs.

Any talk of banning them, licensing them etc. on here (not that there has been necessarily) seems a bit odd given that many non GA people would feel the same about GA. Live and let live I say. And anyhow, there is actually quite a few training requirements to progress in sky-diving, BASE jumping etc. I used to have an employee who was wanting to BASE jump and would go on about how you had to have so many sky-dives on your log book before you could train for BASE.

Not quite wing suits in the same sense but still, pretty impressive.

S57
EGBJ, United Kingdom

S57 wrote:

Any talk of banning them, licensing them etc. on here (not that there has been necessarily) seems a bit odd given that many non GA people would feel the same about GA. Live and let live I say.

Agreed. In aviation, there seems to be a tendency (not necessarily on this forum here) to look down upon “lesser” users of airspace and I find that sad. Applies to CAT vs. Biz, Biz vs. GA (as in private certified flying, I know that’s not the definition of GA), GA vs ultralight, gliders.. vs parachutists.. then anyone self-flying vs. drone pilots… Drone pilots vs. birds, maybe?

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

This is similar to wingsuit flying but is clearly much safer

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

This is similar to wingsuit flying but is clearly much safer

Absolutely. Should be promoted to grannies around the world as a safe alternative to knitting.

There will always be people who push the boundaries and those that follow.
As Bosmantico wrote James Bond did it
Well actually he didn’t. A stuntman did it and the stunt had to be worked out in the finest of detail and carried out by a stunt person who had progressed through the ranks and getting merits for the type of stunt they are allowed to perform.
Tragic accidents still happen.One of the finest film helicopter pilots, I ever flew with, lost his life during a scene which had been meticulously planned. But boundaries were pushed.
The problem then arises when others see these stunts and think that they can just go out and perform the same with no planning and no real experience. Once something has been done by many, people become blasé about the risks involved.
But regulating adreneline junkies/extreme sports enthusiasts. No. People need to be allowed to take responsibility for their actions.

France

I had a helicopter instructor a few years back in California whose passion was wingsuit jumping. He was off to China for some global wingsuit championship. During our very brief time flying together the world champion killed himself, but it didn’t seem to bother him. No idea what has happened to him since – that outfit burned through 251-hour instructors pretty quickly.

It takes a lot to get qualified, even if there is no “official” FAA-like requirement. You need hundreds if not thousands of parachute drops before they’ll let you try it.

LFMD, France
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message