Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aircraft registers and accident databases by country, and contacting aircraft owners

Why would it be reasonable to publish aircraft registrations for accidents and car registrations not? You can search the accident databases by aircraft type and go through the list. There aren't that many accidents.

The aircraft's logbook would contain accident entries for all repairs and in the contract of sale you would add a clause that the seller has to disclose the accident history.

But actually that is exactly what I do when buying a used car...I enter the registration number into one of several websites and (for a small fee becuse they are run by businesses) I get the finance and accident status of the vehicle...

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

But actually that is exactly what I do when buying a used car...I enter the registration number into one of several websites and (for a small fee becuse they are run by businesses) I get the finance and accident status of the vehicle...

Wow! If you manage to find out the finance stauts of my car (or any other property of mine) by doing an online research, I can promise you, that someone will be be dragged to court for it. There are only two persons on this planet who can know anything about the finance status of my car/house/aeroplane/whatever: Myself and my bank manager. If he discloses that information to any third party (law enforcement and tax office aside) he has been a bank manager for the longest part of his career...

And regarding the accident status: If I damage my car and get it repaired somewhere at my own expenses (i.e. without claiming money from an insurance) nobody will ever know about it.

EDDS - Stuttgart

It's called an HPI check...it will tell you if the vehicle is mortgaged...it will tell you if the vehicle has been written off

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

I think Jan's father had the right idea! Money is a very good thing and hope all my friends have a lot a lot of it, more is better... but I'd prefer they and/or government don't ask me about my business.

Health insurance in Germany is apparently priced according to family income, something that I don't discuss or reveal except to US tax authorities who are prohibited by law from releasing it. Since a recent applicant family member does not actually know (or care much about) her family income, her answer was simple.

The trick with the (publicly available) US aircraft database is to register the aircraft to an entity versus personally, assuming you don't want the world doing a search on your name and then badgering you for something or other.

I’m trying to contact Diamond aircraft owners in Europe in order to send them invitation to join newly formed organization of Diamond Aircraft Pilots (DAP). Actually, the organization is not officially registered yet – it’s expected process to be finalized in February.

In order to collect the addresses of the owners, I searched practically all European civil aviation aircraft registers and found out different approaches and different levels of data usability. Some provide access to searchable databases, some PDF or Excel files and some absolutely nothing. Some are really great, some are absolutely useless and some are not existing or inaccessible.

Here’s the list of the countries/registers I covered.

Albania – not available.
Austria – OK.
Belgium – OK.
Bosnia and Herzegovina – OK.
Bulgaria – not available (unofficial spotters database exists).
Croatia – OK.
Cyprus – OK.
Czechia – OK.
Denmark – official register not available, unofficial doesn’t contain owners’ data.
Estonia – OK.
Finland – official register requires user registration to be searched (for Croatian citizens digital certificate on national ID is required).
France – OK.
Germany – not available.
Guernsey – OK.
Greece – official register not available.
Hungary – OK.
Iceland – OK.
Ireland – OK.
Isle of Man – OK.
Italy – official register is not available, unofficial is not easy to search but with some effort data can be extracted.
Jersey – not available.
Kosovo – not available.
Latvia – OK.
Lithuania – OK.
Luxembourg – not available.
Malta – OK.
Moldova – official register doesn’t contain owners’ data.
Monaco – not available.
Netherlands – official register doesn’t contain owners’ data, unofficial searchable database is available.
North Macedonia – OK.
Norway – OK.
Poland – official register not available, unofficial doesn’t contain owners’ data.
Portugal – not available.
Romania – not available.
San Marino – not available.
Serbia – OK.
Slovakia – OK.
Slovenia – the register web was down, so I wasn’t able to access it but it also requires user to be registered for search.
Spain – available but no owners’ data.
Sweden – kind of OK, search is not the easiest.
Switzerland – OK.
UK – OK.

What puzzles me completely is that German register is inaccessible which for country with highly developed aviation and public services is totally unacceptable.

Last Edited by Emir at 15 Jan 15:50
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Correct. The Germann register isn‘t and never was publicly accessible.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Emir wrote:

What puzzles me completely is that German register is inaccessible which for country with highly developed aviation and public services is totally unacceptable

Probably because Germany has one of the strictest privacy/data protection laws in Europe.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Ultranomad wrote:

Probably because Germany has one of the strictest privacy/data protection laws in Europe.

This. Although we mostly gave the same laws as all other EU countries nowadays (GDPR), but add to that a ridiculously obsessive and impractical implementation where for example half of our health system is constantly re-doing exams another clinic already did because they cannot easily access the original exam due to “data protection reasons”.

This affects most other aspects of society and is one example how Germany, despite it’s cliche of efficiency, is actually a highly dysfunctional country nowadays in many ways.

Edit: Also, Germany lacks in digitisation. If such a register were accessible it would probably require several paper forms sent via snail mail to access, or at best a fax.

Last Edited by MedEwok at 15 Jan 16:24
Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

The US register is also available – the biggest IFR community in Europe But usually you get the trustee name only.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message