Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Can more people start threads, please (also New Post feature)

Also, noob is labelling. Someone might be hugely accomplished in one sub-domain, and be feeling their way in another; maybe a 20,000 hour bush pilot trying to get into PBN. They may not feel like a noob.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Don’t know about others but I, as a beginner, don’t feel intimidated to post questions as new threads (see the trip planning with family/risk management thread for example ). Most answers are also friendly on here.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

I suppose I just felt that clogging up the place with threads that can be answered by a single post, on subjects that experienced members have seen 100 times before will lower the overall quality of the forum.

EIMH, Ireland

will lower the overall quality of the forum.

Actually I’d suggest that such questions might broaden the appeal of the forum; make it more assessable to those of us at the lower end of the food chain

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I think if you have a question – ask away – it doesnt matter if it ends up being a short thread. The funny thing is sometimes I introduce a topic partly in the hope in results in an enjoyable discussion – but the strange thing is I find it quite difficult to predict the outcome. Sometimes it ends up with a few replies, sometimes it evolves into a longish thread perhaps meandering off in various directions along the way. Inevitably there are some old chestnuts that always attract controversy (and we mostly know what they are) and that doesnt matter either, especially as occasionally something new is introduced into the discussion.

EuroGa does seem a little slow these days, and I do wonder if it is because so many of the topics come up quite regularly but I think the key is not to worry about that for the above reasons. It is a discussion forum after all, and we all enjoy chewing the fat even if some of it has been done before.

One issue with the site that I find discourages me from starting a new thread is how well hidden it is to start a new thread. Each time (not many) that I want to start a new thread I have to search how to do it. I normally start my mostly daily experience with EuroGA by book marking Active Threads and see what is being currently discussed. IMHO, it would be helpful to add a Start thread option on any of the top menu items of:
Active Threads Latest Posts Mine Watched Bookmarked Start Thread

KUZA, United States

NCY – yes I agree – I think the “problem” as Peter commented earlier is the thread ending up in the right category. Perhpas if the top menu had a “start new thread” option and then asked which category all would be solved?

Fuji_Abound wrote:

NCY – yes I agree – I think the “problem” as Peter commented earlier is the thread ending up in the right category. Perhpas if the top menu had a “start new thread” option and then asked which category all would be solved?

I agree, that should be part of the dialog.

KUZA, United States

Sometimes it ends up with a few replies, sometimes it evolves into a longish thread

The “problem” is that EuroGA can get 100+ posts on a busy day, and most people – especially those who for some reason prefer to not be logged in except when making a post – read it purely via the Active Threads button, so if you visit the forum only say 2x a day you will miss most posts.

There is no good way around this apart from a smaller font and presenting many more threads on a page which leads to a very cluttered look which anyway doesn’t work on a mobile device which is the majority of the readership these days. It more or less follows that people who read EuroGA on a phone and drop in rarely, will miss most posts.

I keep half an eye on threads with zero or few replies and if it is a good topic then I promote it to the banners on the home page (that is possible only if the first post does not contain a large image) and then for sure it gets plenty of hits

I do wonder if it is because so many of the topics come up quite regularly

That will be the case inevitably, but I think that is more of a problem for a printed magazine than for a forum, especially a moderated one where flaming etc is not allowed. People’s experiences are on a huge spectrum and the important thing is for them to feel they can ask questions or report things which happened, without getting jumped on.

Regarding getting jumped on, we have had a few (thankfully very few) aggressive people here over time, with a couple still running background campaigns against me and EuroGA, but as of right now I think they have mostly gone from the forum. Believe me or not, there is a lot of hassle involved sometimes. This sort of thing will always be addressed decisively. It wasn’t always in the past and that was a big mistake.

I agree, that should be part of the dialog.

I will point David at the suggestion about the thread start feature.

Many thanks all

BTW it is very easy for me to move a thread to a different forum section. But often it is not clear whether something should be under say Hangar Talk or Flying… it doesn’t really matter.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Timothy wrote:

Also, noob is labelling.
I didn’t mean it would actually be called that.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message