Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

I or We?

In the spirit of Peter’s request for new and interes…, well, new, topics, when you are on the radio in a single crew aircraft, do you describe yourself as “I” or “we”.

Does it make any difference whether you have pax?

EGKB Biggin Hill

In what context do you use the pronouns?

EGTK Oxford

I am not aware of any standard/ICAO phraseology which requires the use of either “I” or “we”. For example, one often hears " we have the traffic in sight" but it really should only be “traffic in sight”.

EDDS - Stuttgart

“May it please the controller, we have traffic in sight.” while wearing a wig of course.

I don’t think you need any pronouns, as what next said, impersonal phrases should do just fine. I have also never addressed the ground station with “you”.

I used the phrase “We have a program to go” when informing ATC that we wanted to do several training approaches during my training, with the instuctor on board. I don’t know how I would say that with an impersonal phrase.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

“I” am always at one with the aircraft so “we” go around together, reminding me of that humourous brief exchange with ATC.

Yea, my plane and I :) So I suppose it’s us.

Some ATCO’s have humour indeed (well, probably most of them but not all show it on the frequency). I once requested full runway lenght at an airport where you usually take off from mid runway because of heavy /being at max take off weight, to which he proceeded to add “Heavy” to my callsign… Long time and the airplane in question was a C150. Got quite some laughs from the passing airliners. Vienna I believe it was.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

You definitely can avoid using pronouns, but people don’t, which is what I was talking about.

EGKB Biggin Hill

The shorter, the better, I think: “Traffic in sight … registration …”

Last Edited by at 14 Jul 08:11

@Timothy
Uh… slow day you’re having today???
:)

Tököl LHTL
49 Posts
Sign in to add your message