Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Funny waypoint and navaid names

The whole SFO and Bay Area approach scheme is full of them.

All the northern approaches and departures have wine-related names, starting with BRIXX (the measure of sugar content in grape juice) right overhead KSFO. Then there are SYRAH, various grape varieties, and so on.

To the south, approaches into KSJC have high-tech company names, misspelled I suppose to avoid lawsuits – SISCO, NTELL and so on.

Finally the southerly approaches to KSFO are related to razors and shaving – can’t remember exactly, but like GLETT, RASHH and so on (and RAZRR also).

LFMD, France

there used to be a waypoint named FUKIT somewhere, but after some intervention of people in the know of English it got unfortunately changed.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

There is still RAPED just off the coast near Nice.

LFMD, France

I recall “going to LEXUS” when I was doing IAP+VPT in Cannes

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

It’s LUXUS ;).
Way south near corsica, you have OMARD (the homard), LONSU (corsican sausage), Merlu (fish), POULP (octopus)… they like good food :)

LFMD, France

one of the friendlier is LAJQU in the north of Poland.

ESG..., Sweden

A point which was actually used according to its name almost 80 years ago nearby Frankfurt Germany.
BOMBI

Poland

On the BNN1A departure from ENBO, there is a point called HAWAJ. It will pronounce like Hawaii, not quite the same location though.

ESMK, Sweden

Clever marketing guy at a certain company managed to charm the Austrian CAA into….

Private field, Mallorca, Spain
29 Posts
Sign in to add your message