Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A question re the 12 mile territorial limit

It’s probably best they didn’t keep the cannon-shot concept, as today’s cannons (ballistic only) can already reach 160km and will soon be double that

3 miles is basically nothing in terms of today’s warfare tech though.
Seems like a lot further would make more sense in today’s environment.

atmilatos wrote:

Does the UK or/and France have any law concerning military flights (which must be written in their AIPs)?

In other words, is there a reason they cannot do so?

A lot of the things we take for granted like fairly up-to-date and exhaustive AIP, CoA/PtF/licenses recognised accross countries come from the Chicago Convention on International Civil Aviation.
As soon as you’re not civil, you loose all of it and anything need to go through the diplomatic route and get clearance if you don’t stay in your country or over the high sea. I imagine there is some agreements between neighboring allies. But not so with the Russians

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

Xtophe wrote:

As soon as you’re not civil, you loose all of it

That’s generally correct, but nobody prohibits a country to publish rules governing any flight that will pass through their territory or FIR in their AIP, esp if it matters everybody.

But the OP said sth about the Russians. Has there happened sth specifically with them and the English in the channel?

LGMT (Mytilene, Lesvos, Greece), Greece

I recall reading, within the past year or so, that they flew c. FL300 right up the Channel, non-radio and thus obviously without ATC clearance, causing some headaches for ATC. However, as per earlier post, they may well have turned around just before reaching the narrow bit where they could not possibly be outside the 12nm limit.

The flights N of Scotland have been happening for decades, regularly.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Noe wrote:

Not sure how that works exactly. One thing I’ve often wondered is on the jumpseat regulation:
I’ve been often told “You can come, but not in UK airspace” (that by different airlines even). I’ve asked a family friend who’s a lawyer for the Pilot’s Union in his country, who told me the same thing (he was talking about his Jumpseat flight, and claimed he checked and only UK airspace prohibited it).

That sounds familiar….about 12 or 13 years ago I travelled from London to Singapore in a 747-400 and was only allowed in the jump seat except after we exited UK airspace….I spent the rest of the entire flight in the cockpit including the landing into SIN…

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Peter wrote:

How do the Russians manage to fly their military flights (af FL300) down this part of the Channel?

It’s a bit like this question.

I like the question “can a Maltese LAPL holder based in Malta fly internationally?”

To dig out this old thread, does anybody know whether the 3-mile or 12-mile figures have any relevance to the potential for being prosecuted for some flying (or sailing) offence?

There is a big chunk of the Channel which is neither UK nor France (based on the 12 mile limit) so who busts pilots, or sailors in that area?

@tumbleweed may still be around.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

There is a big chunk of the Channel which is neither UK nor France (based on the 12 mile limit) so who busts pilots, or sailors in that area?

According to Sala investigation it’s CAA…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Do you have a reference?

Administrator

“Place of Accident: 22 nm north-north-west of Guernsey” but CAA took the case (not looking for “GBR/FRA political fish debates” )

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5f451fdbe90e074c500971c5/AAR_1-2020_Piper_PA-46-310P_Malibu_N264DB_04-20.pdf

Last Edited by Ibra at 03 Nov 15:19
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message