Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Basing and flying N-Reg in Europe / FAA IR / Insurance & legality issues

Any progress on the BIR yet?

EGCJ, United Kingdom

BIR thread

The Canadian IR looks a very interesting option. I wonder if there is some overview somewhere, or notes from someone in Europe who did this route?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The problem you will be very lucky to be able to own and maintain a C-reg in Europe (tough they look like G-regs, so no one will notice )

Btw, Canada/Australia have some sub-ICAO IRs that are specific to their own needs/restricted to their airspace, and they had also some plans for EIRs

See page 6,
https://www.casa.gov.au/file/144446/download?token=j-hg2hwU

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The Canadian IR looks a very interesting option. I wonder if there is some overview somewhere

For US pilots, Canada has traditionally looked like a very expensive place to fly but given the reduction in value of the CAD in the last five years it doesn’t look so costly any more… link Fuel prices are here and comparison to US prices would indicate to me that Canadian fuel price is now only 20% higher on average with low and high prices in either location that contradict that trend. Typically wet aircraft rental prices reflect fuel cost more than any other factor.

Ibra wrote:

The problem you will be very lucky to be able to own and maintain a C-reg in Europe

I’m guessing you’d then convert to FAA certificates if your objective is to avoid EASA registered aircraft hassles long term, and USCIS hassles short term.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 12 Oct 18:06

Maybe 30+ years ago the FAA route was popular for flying old wrecks in Europe, but for many years now it has been the favourite of cash-rich and time-poor people, who want to fly a nice well equipped plane with minimal “Euro hassle”. They especially hate sitting loads of exams and happily pay over the top to make the whole process easier by e.g. doing training with a RHS FI over here in Europe, while flying their business trips. That is why certain “characters” on the FAA scene in Europe have been able to charge so much for their services while being at war with much of the potential customer base. That’s on top of the dire FAA DAR situation…

, the CB-IR as noted is not a rating and no competent authority should be including such a thing in a Part-FCL licence. In the case of UK CAA a regulation 6 appeal would quickly sort things out.

It is likely due to this.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Maybe 30+ years ago the FAA route was popular for flying old wrecks in Europe, but for many years now it has been the favourite of cash-rich and time-poor people, who want to fly a nice well equipped plane with minimal “Euro hassle”.

And German flying clubs presumably for the same reasons.

I do think the Canadian license earned in Canada, then converted to FAA license would be attractive to me if I were a European looking to own an aircraft of any type and avoid hassles from start to finish. It’d be interesting if a European were to report on its efficacy. This also sounds like a business opportunity for Canadians wishing to redirect some business from south of the border. You wouldn’t attract the committed young career track pilot who wants the least costly (US) training, USCIS hassles for foreigners be damned, but I think it should attract European based prospective private pilots.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 12 Oct 18:56

Can someone knowledgeable be so kind and let me know what are the latest requirements / limitations for owning N registration aircraft in EU?

I am looking for my first aircraft – and maybe it’s just my lack of experience, but it seems like you can get more aircraft for the money, if it is N registration, here.

Appreciate your insights.

par
Lithuania

Welcome to EuroGA, par

As this is a vast topic, please first type

N-reg in Europe

into the Search box.

There is plenty of good stuff there. Also here.

Also always check “Threads possibly related to this one” below.

It is a good option, with upsides and downsides many of which vary according to personal circumstances.

It is also country-specific. One thing which can be said is that Lithuania is likely to be easier than anywhere because almost nobody cares what people do there

Administrator

Hi Peter,

Wilco!

I agree about the “flexibility” of Lithuania :) However, my goal is traveling the Europe . I already got the bug (did a few trips) and Lithuania is way too small for flying.

I will definitely look up the legislation, however I after 150h or so, I have yet to experience any “checks” whatsoever, even if I am certified pilot at all. Nor any aircraft documents whatsoever. This applies flying to other EU countries as well.. Maybe I am just lucky.

par
Lithuania

par wrote:

I have yet to experience any “checks” whatsoever,

I have owned N reg for 20 years, travelled through Europe extensively, never been ’’checked’’.

In fact the only ramp check I ever got was in La Rochelle in a Spanish registered aircraft. That turned out to be an non event.

Enjoy whatever the outcome….Your trust will be a decision, as well as maintenance provider..

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow
Sign in to add your message