Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Galileo satellite system

Peter wrote:

Galileo high accuracy service

It looks like this is an encrypted signal, charged for.

At least now, the website https://www.euspa.europa.eu/european-space/galileo/services/galileo-high-accuracy-service-has says “free of charge”.

Peter wrote:

Does anyone know what is happening with Galileo?

<shrug> it works, my pocket computer (“smartphone”) routinely uses it in the location fix. Nothing exciting happening meaning it works just as expected?

Peter wrote:

I read somewhere it is not certified for aviation use, and indeed AFAIK no avionics use it.

Multi-constellation would be something I would upgrade for; it would hopefully give me better reception in the Eastern Mediterranean, where regularly my portable electronics give me a fix, but not my certified GPS/Navstar-only avionics.

ELLX

RTCA just published DO-401 which is a preliminary MOPS for DFMC (Dual Frequency Multiple Constellation) operations.

This document is meant to support validation of airborne requirements supporting above mentioned
operations when using Dual Frequency GPS, Galileo and SBAS signals as defined by International Civil
Aviation Organization (ICAO) Standards and Recommended Practices (SARPs) (Annex 10, Volume I,
Amendment 93), as well as the development of Dual-Frequency Multi-Constellation (DFMC) SBAS
services. This document does not provide specifications for a production approval.

A future release of the document will provide requirements supporting production approval, typically
through a new Technical Standard Order (TSO) or European Technical Standard Order (ETSO).

So in a few years when there is a version of the MOPS that can be used to develop TSO specifications for equipment, I would guess that products will be able to be designed. So maybe in 5 or 10 years we might see new products?

KUZA, United States

The Galileo system has not been included as a GNSS system in the ICAO standards (in this case Annex 10) until this year, and in fact that adoption was effective only 5 days ago!

That would be the reason no GNSS navigator is yet using Galileo!

At the same time, the Chinese BDS system was adopted. GLONASS was already in Annex 10 previously.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 07 Nov 11:33
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

That, as they say here, is an absolute scream How many billions spent?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

That, as they say here, is an absolute scream How many billions spent?

I don’t see how the cost of Galileo relates to ICAO’s tardiness of adopting it as a navigation system. (Certainly aviation is a far cry from being a main user of GNSS.) In any case, it has been adopted by ICAO now.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 07 Nov 11:35

Although GNSS is used and Galileo is now part of Annex 10, are there any GPS avionics systems that are able to use Galileo?

KUZA, United States

Would it just be a software update to enable Galileo on an existing piece of GPS capable avionics, or would new hardware be necessary?

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Not AFAIK.

Having done a load of GPS related software, I know that support for Galileo is probably a feature which was incorporated and tested years ago, and will be enabled with a software update one day. No hardware change required.

As regards other Galileo features, like chargeable decryption keys (that itself has been a moving target with Galileo which was originally going to tie EGNOS to Galileo and then charge for keys to fly LPV approaches) is something else, and unless Brussels brings in some ludicrous reg forcing the use of xyz, everybody will just ignore it because the US system does the job just fine.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

NCYankee wrote:

Although GNSS is used and Galileo is now part of Annex 10, are there any GPS avionics systems that are able to use Galileo?

Given that this amendment to Annex 10 was published earlier this year and has been effective for no more than 5 days as of this writing, I doubt it…

Galileo, now fit for aviation

Galileo, now fit for aviation (at least according to ESA):

https://www.esa.int/Applications/Navigation/Galileo/Galileo_now_fit_for_aviation

Has anyone seen any other sources?

EGTR
Sign in to add your message