Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How Do You Hydrate Yourself Before a Long Flight?

I fly most of the time long distance flights from 3.5 to 4.5 hours FL080-FL120. I don’t drink most 1.5 hours before the flight and do not drink a lot at breakfast. Till now I never had to abort a flight because of my bladder. Can’t see myself wearing senior nappies and peeing in it in flight next to a female passenger, my prostate wouldn’t allow it ;-) I think, age..:-). Maybe I should test it once :-) a dry run..or should I call it a wet run…:-) Sorry not pun intended ..;-). I could tell a story what happened a couple of years ago inflight with two kids in the back….but I won’t :-)…..No coffee or thee before the flight..Indeed preparing the aircraft when the outside temps are 30+ have an impact on your well being, specially when hauling some additional cargo. Yesterday I avoided to do it outside and did as much I could inside the hangar. To keep myself entertained I listened to Mozart and some 90’s rock (spotify) and eat oats cookies :-), problem with that is that they can irritate your throat and then your coughing through the radio while accepting your next clearance:-) so Peter yes soft fruits seems like a good idea ;-)…

EBST

1. Even though I hate it, especially for such cases, I don’t have a morning coffee.
2. I carry and use a LITTLE JOHN.

To avoid a messy job you need to unbuckle, turn 180* on the seat looking backwards with the knees on the seat.
It works fine and avoids any anxiety about the issue.
So the above requires an autopilot or a friend pilot sitting next to you !
With this you can drink as much water as you like.

Last Edited by petakas at 09 May 20:06
LGMG Megara, Greece

@petakas
Alas, I don’t have an autopilot. If there were one to install, I would!

Tököl LHTL

I have to say, I dehrydrate myself when I am worried to pee during a flight. I prefer being dehydrated than needing a pee in flight.

That said, I never plan for flight over 3 hours and above 2 hours, I prepare many alternates/stops along the way to pee/relax/refuel in case of headwind. I am still a young pilot and I am not confident in m’y ability to stay focused more than 3 hours.

LFOU, France
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message