Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Bringing aircraft logbooks & records onboard the aircraft?

I get asked this question sometimes and I’ve never had a good answer. Can you bring all the aircraft logs and records in the aircraft? Typical scenario is when a plane is sold. The question of whether it’s a good idea is secondary. I’m just really wondering if it’s prohibited under any regulations…..

William

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

If you suspect it might be prohibited and you need to do it (once as part of a sale), perhaps it’s best not to ask??

Tököl LHTL

I clearly recall seeing a JAA or EASA reg saying logbooks must not be carried unless in fireproof containers, but I haven’t got a clue where I saw it, or even whether it was just a bit of pilot forum fiction

Might have been a commercially oriented reg.

@bookworm might know.

It is sensible to not carry them because you will have a job with an insurance claim if the thing burns down. I also never leave them anywhere (plane or car) because many pilots have had them stolen, along with their other stuff. Cars are rarely broken into “randomly”. OTOH if you have photographed them….

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

whether it was just a bit of pilot forum fiction

I think it’s one of those pilot bar stool myths unless proven otherwise?

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

It may have been an operating requirement for some AOC company… or it could be a JAA reg which didn’t get carried over to EASA.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Why shouldn’t it be a good Idea? If the plane was as unsafe, that I wouldn’t trust the paperwork being transported in it, then I’d certainly wouldn’t want to go myself.

On the contrary, some of the paperwork is asked to be transported in the aircraft all the time, like registration certification or Journey logs (including technical logs).

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

I’ll be flying with ALL the paperwork on board next week, if the visibility improves. Wednesday is planned. North Coates, on the coast near Grimsby, to Inverness, with one or maybe two stops. New purchase, new syndicate.
The Authorities can easily identify me, arrange an interception, forcing me to land at some place such as Leeming, where I can be dealt with under English Law, before I reach the safety of Scotland.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

mh wrote:

Why shouldn’t it be a good Idea? If the plane was as unsafe, that I wouldn’t trust the paperwork being transported in it, then I’d certainly wouldn’t want to go myself.

I agree with you.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message