Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Moving G-reg to EASA-reg (and flying G-reg on EASA papers post-brexit)

We can pay taxes elsewhere when we are not welcome anymore.

Sure but that is totally irrelevant to aviation, isn’t it? I made a decision to terminate brexit related stuff in the political / off topic thread because of the collateral damage / impossibility of anything even remotely approaching a balanced discussion / some participants posting thinly disguised offensive stuff / etc / etc, so can we please not have it elsewhere.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

so please feel free to delete the post

United Kingdom

A guy like me (Belgian EASA license) might have a problem flying with a G-reg from the first of april. Worst case scenario I might need a UK license to do this and there is no way of knowing (at this point) whether there will be a piggyback-like solution or not. I think the biggest trouble are for G-reg flyers with a non-UK delivered pilot license.

EBST, Belgium

One factor here is: historically a G-reg could be flown VFR worldwide on any ICAO PPL, as an automatic validation by the UK CAA. That ended c. 2012 (Brussels killed it off) but the CAA could restore it if they wanted to.

Administrator

Yes, but what about the revalidation of an EASA-license ? Do the hours flown on a G-reg count ? Can I fly my IR-check on it with an EASA-examiner ? Those tiny details make a lot of difference.

EBST, Belgium

Do the hours flown on a G-reg count ?

Of course – same as with an N-reg, etc. What may not count is hours flown in an UL.

Can I fly my IR-check on it with an EASA-examiner ?

Same situation as with e.g. an N-reg. Usually you can, but there can be local issues. In the UK, for example, you usually can, but some FTOs won’t do it. OTOH an EASA IR revalidation (not renewal) can be done wholly freelance so is no problem because no FTO is involved.

Administrator

It’s far from certain that the UK will be out of EASA.
Iceland is part of EASA but not the EU for example.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

So is Switzerland. But they signed a well-negotiated agreement, I guess…

EBST, Belgium

Something has come up from DfT covers this in particular and the whole aviation in general

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/aviation-safety-if-theres-no-brexit-deal/aviation-safety-if-theres-no-brexit-deal

Looks like EU will have the upper hand on what applies to EASA aircrafts while UK opts for maintaining exiting arrangements as they are

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

A G-reg with an EASA CofA (i.e. most certified aircraft) is an “EASA aircraft” and can be flown on EASA papers.

Same for an N-reg. Most of these are capable of having an EASA CofA and are also “EASA aircraft” – with very few exceptions.

Anyone flying an “EASA aircraft” in the Community needs EASA papers, in addition to State of Registry papers, if the “operator” is based in the Community (this is EASA FCL). That is why an EU based pilot flying an N-reg needs both FAA and EASA papers (except for the various derogations).

Post-brexit, therefore, the worst case scenario is that a pilot based in say Belgium will need both (a) UK papers and (b) EASA papers.

But the decision to require (a) is entirely up to the UK CAA and there is no reason why they should disallow EASA papers. After all, they have been issuing them for many years

In fact, from Ibra’s link above:

A pilot licence (known as a Part-FCL licence) issued by an EASA competent authority in accordance with the EU requirements remains valid by virtue of the Withdrawal Act and will have been issued in accordance with the same rules as the UK licences. However, the CAA must validate such a licence for it to be used in the international operation of a UK registered aircraft.
The CAA would validate Part-FCL licences that were issued and valid immediately before exit day, as long as the pilot holds adequate proficiency of the English language. Licences and validations would be valid for up to 2 years after exit day (unless it would otherwise have expired or there was any ongoing enforcement action). Further details on the procedure for validation of EU-issued Part-FCL licences will be published by the CAA shortly.

So I don’t see the licensing situation changing in any practical sense – except for G-reg owners who can’t speak English.

I agree with Neil anyway, but an examination of these worst case scenarios is not as bad as it looks.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message