Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ramp check stories and reports (all causes)

arj1 wrote:

Ireland?

English? ;-) Sorry to all my Irish friends …

Germany

Pilot_Mike wrote:

Could you give me advice how to react if I do not agree with the protocol?

If it is only a protocol, you don’t need to react at all. I would not sign it and they can not force you to sign any protocol that doesn’t reflect reality in your view. The only thing you are legally required to certify is your personal data.
It is safe to wait for any kind of punitive action and then declare that you disagree – and I btw. doubt that they will even try to fine a Ukrainian national flying on a FAA license.

On the second “finding”, Bosco is correct: You need to be able to prove English language proficiency. If your license doesn’t say this, you need to present separate prove of language proficiency. If you can’t, you have a problem: They can even prevent you from departing as you can’t legally use your radio (and btw. not only in Europe but nowhere in the world)

Last Edited by Malibuflyer at 31 Aug 18:41
Germany

@Malibuflyer, you beat me to it, LOL !

WRT English – FAA licenses state ‘English proficient’.

FAA PPLs have had the ELP statement for many years

At any time, ever, ELP was required to get an FAA PPL.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Malibuflyer wrote:

f your license doesn’t say this, you need to present separate prove of language proficiency

I think it even has to be on the license you use. At least for their own licenses LBA does not care when you did pass the test, they only care when they put it in the license.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Pilot_Mike wrote:

Could you give me advice how to react if I do not agree with the protocol?

As said above if they let you fly do nothing and wait. They have to take action and then you can see what you do. Rule number one on German legal trouble is say nothing, sign nothing, wait and let them do. Only then see what you want to say/do.

What is strange is that they did perform a ramp check before the flight. The locals would probably have said they do not want to fly but just polish the plane so nothing to check ;-) In my understanding they can only fine you for flying without a license etc. but not if you might wanted to do so in 2 hours, so the ramp checks I know are after landing.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Peter wrote:

FAA PPLs have had the ELP statement for many years

If it is on the license, then no problem …

Peter wrote:

At any time, ever, ELP was required to get an FAA PPL.

Doesn’t matter – ramp checks do not have to know the examination syllabus of every license in every country and therefore it is up to the pilot to prove that he fullfills language requirement. Just stating “but it is checked in the TestFlight” even if it’s not documented is not enough.

Sebastian_G wrote:

I think it even has to be on the license you use. At least for their own licenses LBA does not care when you did pass the test, they only care when they put it in the license.

In Germany it is true – but that is due to the fact, that in Germany the responsible CAA (so LBA or a regional CAA) certifies language proficiency – even if you did the test at a test center. For international licenses it is completely ok that you present another official document that certifies language proficiency.

Germany

English? ;-) Sorry to all my Irish friends …

Yes, we speak English here! We might not be English, but we certainly are native English speakers! The vast majority of us can’t speak any other language!

EIWT Weston, Ireland

How to react? If it’s a genuine ramp check done in professional manner, I suggest you fully cooperate, if it’s a time wasters make it clear you can delay your flight and even stay one extra week with clap of your hand that tends to expedite things (telling them that you have an urgent flight in the next 1h = “sort of important guy”, will not help your case )

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Sebastian_G wrote:

As said above if they let you fly do nothing and wait. They have to take action and then you can see what you do. Rule number one on German legal trouble is say nothing, sign nothing, wait and let them do. Only then see what you want to say/do.

I agree with this. Carry on and wait for the 2nd shoe to drop, if ever.

This is highly suspicious as an inspector’s requirement to find something to squawk. In many (most) European countries, if any inspector doesn’t find at least one or two items to flag, then he has apparently not done his job. Often items are flagged simply to meet this minimum requirement on the inspector.

LSZK, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message