Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Buying, flying and keeping a plane in the USA

That´s probably true, and Plus One is really cool, can´t do anything but highly recommend them! I maintain my membership even though I can use it only once or twice a year. It´s priceless when your little daughter asks you (while just walking through a code-lock door 5000 miles away from home, with the aircraft key in my hand): Daddy, are you part of the team here?

EDFE, EDFZ, KMYF, Germany

It would be difficult to get the same cost-availability ratio than an aircraft for rent in the US.
Also, you would get tired of flying in the same area after 2-3 trips. The US are awesome but huge and monotonous. Look at these US pilots flying for DAYS to get to a different landscape. We Europeans are not used to that. That said, I know some french pilots are permanent members of Plus One (30$ a month).

I think your best way to go is to share tips (on EuroGA of course:) about easy rental companies in different parts of the US. This way you can get the aircraft you need for a place you want to see.
I can recommend a place in Ohio for VFR and IFR touring. Ask via PM.

LFOU, France

Jujupilote wrote:

The US are awesome but huge and monotonous

If you were based in Arizona (which is not my base, but as per my example above) you can fly to very different geographical areas about 2-3 hrs depending on the plane. Similar to being based in Central Europe, but without the planning hassles assuming you remain within the the US. A trip to Cabo San Lucas (Mexico) would provide a bit of challenge and variety too, via San Felipe. That might not be possible with a rental plane, but would be possible if you owned it.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 16 Oct 16:29

Check the cost of renting for several days from an FBO away from the big cities.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Don’t think that has been mentioned yet, but as a non-US citizen or permanent resident, you’d have to own the airplane through a trust. There are several people on here who can fill in all the details. AFAIK no big deal, but another thing to deal with.

That aside, it doesn’t make sense, especially in the NE, where the wx in winter is a lot worse than in many parts of Europe. I would say: +1 for Plus One ;-) ! Seriously – either join them or a similar outfit somewhere in the SW US. You then have all the benefits without any (most) of the downsides. Sure, it’s a few hours more on CAT (and more expensive), but you really cannot beat the flying out here.

PS: there may be one alternative to the US and that’s southern Africa. Flying in SA and NAM is fantastic and from Europe it’s an overnight flight – no jet lag. I have flown and toured (rented) there a few times, but don’t know if anything similar to Plus One exists.

172driver wrote:

Sure, it’s a few hours more on CAT (and more expensive), but you really cannot beat the flying out here

East coast versus west cost is roughly 9 hrs versus 12 hrs, both assuming nonstop flights. Add a stop and either gets much longer, so avoiding stops is more important than where you’re going. The west coast may or may not be higher priced – the variation over time seems to be more than the variation by destination.

16 Posts
Sign in to add your message