Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Have we reached a plateau on fuel efficiency for commercial air transport?

This is an interesting design which hopes to achieve a 30% efficiency gain.

http://climate.nasa.gov/news/2383/

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I am very impressed by the intellectual level of the people on this forum, and learn from it every day, so surely we cannot be as myopic as OPEC is

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/12065274/OPEC-faces-a-mortal-threat-from-electric-cars.html

We have seen such incredible technological developments over the last 20 years. And the stakes are so high for various industries (thanks Elon for waking up the German giants), never mind the stakes for the planet. There is money and excellent tools to design and develop new technologies, even if nuclear fusion is a bridge too far for now. Come on guys, we are going to see some very interesting developments the next 10 years.

OK, maybe not at the Lycoming and Continental plants

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

At CES GM showed a new model, the ‘Bolt’ (!), which looks like a proper car, has 200 mi range and 8 yrs battery warranty. Even a sceptic like me has to take note of that. Oh and the price after US incentives is $30k.

Last Edited by Aveling at 23 Jan 20:08
EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

I believe that in the US the battery warranties in electric cars fall under the federal requirements for emission control devices (like a catalytic converter) so the minimum warranty is 8 years / 80k miles. Just to put that part in perspective, not to dismiss the vehicle.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Aveling wrote:

200 mi range and 8 yrs battery warranty.

Not good enough. Plus the range is affected by cold weather and climbing steep grades. The electric car is a cart before the horse. Until recharging is available every 50mi or so, the idea of an intercity journey is too risky with one. Also, they are dirtier than fossil fuel cars…anyone driving an electric car is hurting the environment.

USFlyer wrote:

Until recharging is available every 50mi or so, the idea of an intercity journey is too risky with one.

Already in place, IF you drive a Tesla, at least here in CA.

USFlyer wrote:

Also, they are dirtier than fossil fuel cars…anyone driving an electric car is hurting the environment.

This one is a bit contentious, but I agree that electricity doesn’t ‘come from the power point’. It’s a real bummer that nuclear energy (and, more importantly, research into it) were killed off by largely irrational fears. Nuclear fusion would be the way to go.

36 Posts
Sign in to add your message