Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Headset storage

Headsets can be very expensive – up to some €800 for the Bose A20.

Most people leave their headsets lying around the plane – well, those who don’t take them home. Some even leave them on top of the centre pedestal where their sharp edges damage switches and CBs.

In the rental world they get chucked on top of the instrument panel, damaging the window.

It’s surprising that nobody seems to make a “headset hanger” which could be attached to the ceiling and they could hang off that. I have seen some DIY constructions and some were pretty good.

I have something like that for hanging my oxygen cannula.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In the Cirrus you typically have a headset hanger between two attachment points in front of the sun visors.

(Bose A20 is between € 995 and € 1095 with BT)

(The two other headsets for the backseats are in their cases in the baggage compartment)

Last Edited by at 06 Jun 08:23

This bothers me too. Headsets have their own cases for storage after flight, but I also worry about damage during short stops, etc. (BTW that 800 EUR figure is a lowball when you include VAT fora top line ANR version).

Tököl LHTL

Anyone up for 3D printing something?

Google images turns up only this for a Cirrus but that isn’t practical in most cases as a retrofit

Administrator

Our club’s Aquila actually has a headset hanger between the headrests. Works just fine. I don’t know if it is factory installed or customised, but the old A210 had it too, as well as the one the club rented for a short time when we sold the old aircraft. Maybe it is indeed built in?

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Some pics would be useful for ideas. I have just found this

and a double one could be ceiling mounted between the two front seats, and maybe a second one between the two back seats.

Administrator

My lesson for this afternoon was just cancelled due to 30kt crosswind and PROB30 40kt, otherwise I could have taken photos. Will try next time, probably Thursday or Friday.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

I think a lot of helicopters have hooks for holding headsets that are not in use – I’m guessing because most helicopter headsets tend to have coiled leads and therefore one doesn’t want to stretch them too much.

Here’s an example of the very simple arrangement in a Bell JetRanger…

EGTT, The London FIR

The Zlin 142 also has headset hangers above each of the two seats as a factory-installed accessory. I’ll take photos when I go to the airport next time.

Hajdúszoboszló LHHO

Well, when leaving the aircraft I bring my headsets home (rented aircraft). But for short term stops (during the day or overnight if I have the aircraft away for a few nights), I just hang them on the control column between the yoke and the panel. The yoke and turn and push/pull and the headsets will stay there fine.

EIWT Weston, Ireland
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message