Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Hello Greeks and Greece lovers? Need advice

10 Posts

Hi everyone

We have been invited to the island of Hydra for a wedding in late may.
I am looking for a way to get there.
I’d rather not fly an airliner to Athens, not while my own plane is standing and rusting waiting for a pilot…
Been to Greece 2x already so I know the tricks about entry airport etc, but never landed in this area.
Maybe there’s a creative GA way to get to Hydra?
How to avoid the misery of transit by car and ferry… ? Any helicopter pilots here?

Efkharisto!

Last Edited by Flyingfish at 01 Apr 16:11
LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

Flyingfish wrote:

How to avoid the misery of transit by car and ferry… ?

Impossible ;-)
Hydra is a unique offshore rock island, but such a unique rock, that many have chosen it as their getaway / hideaway for years.
If you fly LGKR Kerkyra for entry and then LGMG Megara for parking a taxi will take you to Ermioni port off Hydra in 1.5 hr and then a speedboat taxi ride some 15’ to Hydra.
Flying in to LGMG you save some 40’ minute on the road from Athens towards Ermioni because its west of the city.

The other alternative is flying airline in Athens Int’l, then a taxi to Pireus port and from there you take the (lots of) boat connections to Hydra which last ~3 hrs.

There used to be Porto Cheli LGHL private field nearby (some 20’ speedboat taxi ride to Hydra from the site’s dock) but the owner decided to discontinue the airport operation in 2004. This would have been ideal for you.
By the way, if any filthy rich is reading, this whole site is on sale for some 14m Euro last I heard. You can buy it, renew the private field’s permit and fly in there with your private aircraft from Europe. Last time I visited (before 2004) a Pilatus PC12 was flying in from time to time.

Last Edited by petakas at 01 Apr 16:26
LGMG Megara, Greece

Hi Petakas

Thank you so much. The Ermioni alternative seems to be quite a good solution. I have already used Kerkyra for entry and refueling.
Will report back :-)

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

OK! Trip confirmed!
I now need to work on the details. We will be staying one night in Kerkyra.
Any recommendations for a nice hotel near the airport?
Thanks!

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

Flyingfish wrote:

Any recommendations for a nice hotel near the airport?

http://hotelbretagne.gr/
Nothing luxurious or (really) nice, but 5 minutes walk from the airport, it gets the overnight job done with a breakfast.
Half of its clients are air crews.

LGMG Megara, Greece

Thanks Petakas!

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

@petakas: What would be approximate price for landing and 7 day parking at Athens main airport comparing to Megara? I’ll fly to Athens begining of July for a week of sailing and I’m not sure if it’s easier (cheaper ) to land directly to Athens rather then flying to Megara via some airport of entry.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Via airport of entry (some 40~80 Euro handling depending on AOPA card or not, at e.g. LGKR + 12 Euro per pax) and then LGMG Megara, 1.63 per day if EUR register (7.34 non EU register). No handling.
Taxi to Athens some ~50 Euro

Via direct to Athens Intl. LGAV for entry and parking.
200 Euro + ~40 per day. These are rough numbers from memory. Can’t remember the exact numbers.
You can email them for a quote.
LGAV Swissport email: [email protected]

https://www.aopa.gr/Info
In there you can find Charges and all useful information.
Paragraph 12a & 12b are about handling.

LGMG Megara, Greece

Thanks, it looks like that using airport of entry is definitely cheaper option. In addition it can be an opportunity to visit another Greek island

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Today’s update: https://www.euroga.org/forums/flying/4369-greek-airports-being-sold-to-germany
As of April 11th add another 50 Euro for the FRAPORT airports.

LGMG Megara, Greece
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message