Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How cheap can a piston twin go?

A quick search of the NTSB shows 11 fatals following engine failure in the PA-23 since 1983.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Fuji_Abound wrote:

Thing is twins are much more complicated to fly which will also put a lot of pilots off.

Depends on the twin.

After having flow exclusively DA42 for a few month I took the DA40-180 to our L2K get-together a few weeks ago. Let me say that engine management significantly increases the workload in a AVGAS single compared to a diesel twin especially during departure when you climb to your cruise level in steps and have to manage temperatures during climb and lean when leveling out.

LFPT, LFPN

What about this one? It looks mint and incredibly cheap. For the same amount you can get a rebuilt TB10…

http://www.planecheck.com?ent=da&id=29893

LFNR
If everything goes fine you are right. But taking a piston twin and having an unplanned engine failure on rotation (rather than a training one) they are far harder to deal with than in a jet. Of course, you have the option of flying in that scenario which you don’t have with a single but even in a very powerful King Air asymmetric flight is a handful single pilot compared with a jet.

In a Mustang if you lose an engine above V1, you fly the plane, clean up gear and flap, compensate for the asymmetry with rudder and climb at 1500fpm. That is it (you don’t even touch the engine controls until at an altitude where you have some time to go through engine failure checklists. Neil can maybe compare with a King Air.

JasonC – I equally dont disagree, and clearly there is more to do. However with the piston, in some ways the “only” additional chore is cleaning up the dead engine – power to idle, feather, kill the fuel. The problems potentially come from not dealing with the asymetry or drag which are both more pronounced, and some twins are clearly far more of a handful than others. We are discussing the Aztec, and correcting the asymetry is pretty automatic and not that pronounced unless you are completely asleep. You definitely want to deal with getting the prop. feathered so that is an additional chore you dont want to ignore.

I cant prove it but a pilot flying a twin with more marginal performance, more pronounced asymetry and not current is an accident waiting to happen, but so perhaps is a pilot flying one of the more “lively” SEPS with the same lack of currency. The reality is most SEPS are pretty tame, but in the same way as some twins, an engine failure in some SEPS (EFATO) will prove much more of a challenge.

In short I think we need to compare like with like.

Alboule,

agree. A nice, “real” airplane. But renember these baby-Barons (just like Aztecs) are slightly above two tons and cost a fortune to operate.

Some points:

-GNS430 is non-W
-no engine monitor whatsoever
-no glass panel, not even an Aspen PFD
-engines close to TBO

Last Edited by boscomantico at 11 Mar 20:46
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Hi Bosco

True, probably not the best investment ever, but a pure joy machine!

Did a bit of research: the Baron belongs to a school. They seem to be selling their whole fleet. This one also belongs to them:
http://www.planecheck.com?ent=da&id=29835

LFNR

@Alboule: looks like a fair deal to me too. As opposed to the Atztec originally mentioned in the thread, this airplane seems to need nothing to start “real” IFR operations with it.

Another interesting plane that has been around for a while on Planecheck is this C310

Last Edited by blueline at 11 Mar 21:12
LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

They seem to be selling their whole fleet.

Strange that they advertise the Baron with VAT and the Arrow without in this case.

The fact that you can buy a decent Baron for half the price of an Arrow (with Aspen and a tad better avionics, but still) shows how irrational the market is.

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

blueline wrote:

Another interesting plane that has been around for a while on Planecheck is this C310

I maintain that Cessna 310i .

It is fairly well equipped and the it is well maintained, but I believe the owner is not letting it go right now.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

blueline wrote:

The fact that you can buy a decent Baron for half the price of an Arrow (with Aspen and a tad better avionics, but still) shows how irrational the market is.

Very often the “under-priced” planes have maintenance issues or up-coming ADs that require serious €€€ to correct .

Just last week I was looking at 3 cabin class Cessna twins, all 3 with very low asking prices, all 3 out of Annual and requiring anywhere from X 1 to X 3 of sale price to make airworthy.

Pay me now or pay me later, there is no free lunch

Last Edited by Michael at 12 Mar 07:05
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN
Sign in to add your message