Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How do you really know what your clearance is?

They chewed me out for using EuroFPL (instead of the government issued Olivia)and told me that the day they would be closed down because they no longer could justify their existence

haha, last time (about 2 months) ago I was in L2K I filed my departure plan with olivia, and they lost it too, they couldn’t find it even though I gave them the olivia reference number.

Loosing flight plans seems to be the norm in L2K, no matter what service you use.

LSZK, Switzerland

You will enjoy this notam for LFAT today

“due to saturation reasons”

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think that NOTAM is rather old, it was there already when I was there

LSZK, Switzerland

In the US they would say “Cleared to enter Bravo airspace”, but only for class B airspace which seems to be something very special over there. For entry into class D they would say “Radar contact 8 miles east for Livermore. Report Mormon Temple” which is inside class D.

That is correct, as is Peter’s comment on it, except that radar coverage is not universal for US Class D airspace

For US Class E, no radio contact is required. For D and C, ATC is supposed supposed to say “remain clear of Class C/D” Airspace" to hold you outside the area. ATC saying “standby” is two way radio contact and for those kinds of US airspace it is an implicit clearance, although my practice is not to push the point if the controller is very busy and entering may bring me into conflict with other traffic. Classes B and A within the US require an explicit clearance, as in Europe, and ATC will have radar. Since there is no Class A below 18,000 ft in US airspace and most pilots are not equipped to go that high, Class B is indeed something special to most US pilots.

France does require a clearance to enter CAS – they just can’t be bothered to say it.

It is interesting how France and the US often do things the same, but different

Last Edited by Silvaire at 12 Aug 22:12

Whereas France does require a clearance to enter CAS – they just can’t be bothered to say it.

Of course entry into CAS requires a clearance. But they won’t settle for “Radar Contact”. They will also ask you to report somewhere inside of CAS, or at the boundary outbound. Very often the magic words are “VFR transit approved”. If you get none of these you should do what you always do when in doubt: seek confirmation. “Confirm we are cleared to transit northbound at 2000 feet”

LFPT, LFPN
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message