Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How does a US pilot go about getting an EASA/CAA license based on his FAA license ?

Have a US based pilot friend that’s considering buying and flying to the US a UK reg’d plane.

So what does he need to do to legally fly the UK reg’d plane to the US ?

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Is it a one off event or does he need to continue to fly it? If a one off I would suggest getting a CAA validation for the purpose of the flight.

EGTK Oxford

Wasn’t there a thread on flying European-registered planes in the US a while ago? I seem to remember that you need to provide your intended route and dates for all flights within the US beforehand and stick to it. Flightplans are required for each leg regardless of flight rules.

LFPT, LFPN

This would be a “one-time” event

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Aviathor wrote:

I seem to remember that you need to provide your intended route and dates for all flights within the US beforehand and stick to it. Flightplans are required for each leg regardless of flight rules.

That’s interesting to know, since I’m still trying to plan a visit to the US next summer (if insurance issues solved) in a G-Reg. I’ll have to look into it.

I know a guy who operated a G-reg plane in the USA for about 10 years, and he did nothing special. He flew it on a UK medical and UK papers He left the USA a while ago…

I have heard that TSA regs require some additional compliance (over N-regs) when flying inside the USA, but this is unverified.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

For about 2 or 3 years after 2001-09-11 you needed to file an IFR flight plan for every flight in a non-N/non-C reg aircraft anywhere in the US, but I believe these restrictions have since been dropped. (I was living there at the time, there was someone at our glider club that had a D-reg glider and could no longer fly it because it’s impractical to fly a glider on an IFR flight plan!)

This restriction was something that was only ever promulgated by NOTAM, IIRC.

Last Edited by alioth at 25 Oct 11:29
Andreas IOM

alioth wrote:

For about 2 or 3 years after 2001-09-11 you needed to file an IFR flight plan for every flight in a non-N/non-C reg aircraft anywhere in the US, but I believe these restrictions have since been dropped. (I was living there at the time, there was someone at our glider club that had a D-reg glider and could no longer fly it because it’s impractical to fly a glider on an IFR flight plan!)

This restriction was something that was only ever promulgated by NOTAM, IIRC.

I remember reading about that, and finding it bizarre… I can only assume the NOTAM expired. Lots of XA and XB registered GA aircraft cross into the US daily and many are VFR, especially after departing the US port of entry.

8 Posts
Sign in to add your message