Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How many homebuilts fly "high"?

Everything you wanted to know but were too shy to ask – here is a start.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

LeSving wrote:

Are you sure this actually is ICAO ?

Even with a homebuilt you can file an ICAO compliant flight plan and receive ATC services. So the common types have a code. You can search for them here: www.icao.int/publications/DOC8643

Cool, didn’t know it was ICAO, I thought it was a local thing. Found my Onex, with the rather obvious type designator: ONEX

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Interesting that all Falcos, regardless of whether they are certified or home built, have the same ID.

Forever learning
EGTB

As a little data point, on this VFR flight I had various squawks including 7000 yet the track is continuous, so FR24 doesn’t dump 7000. At least not simply so

Administrator

If running Mogas the UK LAA Permit approval is for flight no higher than 6000feet.

alanr wrote:

If running Mogas the UK LAA Permit approval is for flight no higher than 6000feet.

Of course. “Low and slow” is always the safer option, if there is a possibility of vapor lock

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

alanr wrote:

Maybe so but it certainly burns and keeps the motor running a lot higher than that!

I know about vapour pressure and vapour lock but in simple aircraft with a simple, gravity fed fuel supply, ie. no pump or convoluted plumbing – liquid downhill – vapour uphill – no vapour traps, it works just fine.

However, you can’t do that in a low wing plane. That will always need a pump.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

However, you can’t do that in a low wing plane. That will always need a pump.

Not everyone has wingtanks. ;)

ESSZ, Sweden
Sign in to add your message