Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How much would this cost to fix?

(this happened in the USA)

Looks like a pressurised hull on the left. What would be the procedure?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It probably depends on how much the hull is worth. Maybe you fix it, maybe you scrap it.

If they were to fix it, it would probably need engineering support from the manufacturer on a bespoke basis, as it would be beyond a normal repair. I suppose you could get someone else to engineer a solution, but the manufacturer seems like the logical choice. But, once they’ve figured out the solution, it’s probably just remove the interior/trim, install doublers and a patch plate, leak test, repair trim/wiring/systems, reinstall the interior.

United States

Not that it’s the same, as it was damaged by a tail strike rather than a prop, but JAL 123 is an example of what sort of repairs they’ll do, and what happens when they go wrong. N632SW, which had a major depressurization incident, was returned to service after an investigation and repair.

United States

At least it’s only a couple of slices, as opposed to this …

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

I wonder if their insurance is sufficient to cover it? It looks like a multi million aircraft.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

If you look here, you can see what the patch might look like :)

http://rbogash.com/fedex727.html

United States

Ultranomad wrote:

At least it’s only a couple of slices, as opposed to this …

Amazing story.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 28 Apr 17:06
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I wonder if their insurance is sufficient to cover it? It looks like a multi million aircraft.

Yes it does make one wonder if the standard €4M we have over here is enough. Better not shred anything too valuable…

Amazing story

Indeed…

Photos of the shredded Seminole quickly found their way onto the Internet, and formed a mythology of their own. The prevailing legend grew legs when picture of the plane appeared on eBay, with the alleged backstory being that of a guy with an angry ex-wife. Apparently he wouldn’t let her get breast implants and instead bought the plane. She got mad and went out to the airport with a chainsaw, resulting in the photos.
In the fourth season of “Mythbusters”, the myth was debunked, but the true story of VH-KBZ’s photos were confirmed via realistic testing using a portion of wrecked aircraft, and engine mounted on a guidance rail.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I saw two planes collide at Wycombe Air Park once (EGTB). It all happened so quickly – a propeller taking the end off a wing of another plane when one or both pilots were distracted. Easily done I guess.

The sliced Seminole above is an extraordinary sight. (The engine of the Saratoga must been doing some revs to keep going after slicing through three Warriors and then that plane too.)

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

That Bonanza is pretty new, prob 2014. The King Air looks new, but one never knows. A dolled up F90 from the 70’s looks exactly like a newer model because King Air’s don’t change.

12 Posts
Sign in to add your message