Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How to disable an LRU on G1000 ? (removing GDL69A)

Hello,

My aircraft was originally equipped with a Garmin GDL69A receiver, which serves in the US for XM Weather and Radio / Audio Entertainment.
In Europe it’s useless, and I use the ADL120.
As the plane soon have to be weigh again (F-reg, every 5 years), I think to remove the GDL: it consumes power, add fours (useless) pounds and could be sold for an amount on eBay (GDL69A seem to go for 2000-3000 $).

The point is that I would like to avoid disturbing the G1000 system (!!)
From what I understand, the G1000 system is configured when the SW is loaded, and all devices installed are declared at this moment (GDL, GTS800, WX-500, COGuardian, ADF…)
Hence, I tried to strip out the breaker, and I get an alert message (“…GDL69 has failed…”).

So the question is: can I tell the G1000 not to seek for it, in other terms, disabling it.
In the config mode, there is a SYSTEM CONFIGURATION page, where you can tick / un-tick LRU. I wonder if removing the GDL, and then un-ticking from this menu, would be enough.

G1000 expert inputs are welcome

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 08 Aug 06:05

@Sebastian_G
Is there any chance the ADL can be powered from liberated slot / port with proper cable ?
Actually, the breaker would already be installed (FIS), and one would just need to have the antenna cable arriving behind PFD/MFD. Don’t know if the minor mod (for permanent installation) you provide would allow that.

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

GDL69A seem to go for 2000-3000 $

With an 8130 form…. Could you get that?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Really no idea.
The point is mainly removing a useless device.

Isn’t there a rule or somewhat, stating that a working unit removed from an airworthy plane, was considered serviceable ?

Or maybe I can ask Garmin how much they charge to provide the certificate
Honeywell didn’t take a lot for a KTA870

You can sell stuff on US Ebay, and I have sold lots of bits there, but you will get sigificantly more if it comes with a bit of paper from an avionics installer saying it was serviceable when removed.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

but you will get sigificantly more if it comes with a bit of paper from an avionics installer saying it was serviceable when removed.

Yes this is what I thought.
Do you know if under EASA, it must be an avionic engineer, or can be my PART66 A/P (MG/MF) ?

Anybody can write out a piece of paper which looks good It’s going to be sent to the USA.

In the US system, there is no formal radio qualification required to work on avionics installations. It goes under the heading of “airframe” i.e. done by or under the supervision of an A&P. So there are plenty of “little guys” doing this work.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

Could you get that?

Thanks to Peter, YES WE CAN

I would not alter the G1000. A plane usually either crashes or gets resold at some point.

achimha wrote:

A plane usually either crashes or gets resold at some point

That’s cold blood optimism

Anyway, for shared knowledge, or if it can be helpful to some, later:

The attached information is not approved data in any way, but contains steps to remove the GDL 69 from the configuration to get rid of the error message when it is removed. It is recommended that be done only by someone that is trained on working with the G1000 system.

1) Start the G1000 system in configuration mode
2) Turn the small FMS knob to find the System Data Path page
-—————————————

3) On the System Data Path page, press the soft key labeled HSDB
-—————————————

4) On the System Data Path page, start the cursor by pushing the FMS knob
Scroll with the large knob down the list to the GDL 69 box shown above
Rotate the small knob to bring up the drop down menu
Select NONE and hit enter.
Turn of the cursor by pushing the small FMS kno
-—————————————

5) Rotate the small FMS knob to find the system configuration page