Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR certified 2-seaters

From here

The Caterham or Lotus 7 is a fun vehicle.
Not great in bad weather.
Perhaps in that way a 2 seater light aircraft has the advantage in terms of travel.

France

Well, fact is there are very few IFR-certified touring two-seaters out there.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

here you are:

certified and two seater
handles even better than lotus 7

Poland

The only current 2 seater certified for IFR is the Liberty XL AFAIK.
Maybe the Bristell has been IFR certified now and I believe the Elixir is possibly going to be.

France

The Elixir is definitely interesting (915iS variant). IFR with cruise speeds up to 170kts (probably exaggerated a bit, but not too far off given the nimble 2-seater airframe), with 600lbs useful load (and I believe 200kg or 445lbs full fuel payload). If pilot and pax are light that can leave 70kg for additional equipment and luggage (although luggage compartment seems limited to 25kg). Maybe the numbers are mixed up between 912 and 915 variants but in at least one you get 7 hrs endurance at full fuel, and a dry range of 1000 nm.

I could see luggage space being a problem for travel. And taking only one pax is another. It’s good for a couple but then excludes friends or children. And outside a couple, taking only one friend for trips is a lot more personal and less “convivial” (there is no English word for this, it roughly means welcoming, guest-friendly and warm). I could see why this would be a problem for OP.

We bought a pair at my club, delivered in 2024 (the 912 variant, non-IFR) so I’ll definitely have some feedback on this aircraft.

France

A bit limiting for IFR however is its very low max operating altitude of 10.000 ft IIRC. With the Rotax 915 iS it should otherwise be easily capable for FL250.

EDLE

“convivial” (there is no English word for this)

How about “convivial”? Means exactly the same thing (not surprising since it comes from Latin)

LFMD, France

europaxs wrote:

A bit limiting for IFR however is its very low max operating altitude of 10.000 ft IIRC.

I didn’t know that limit. Indeed it’s a major limitation. For VFR in Europe it makes more sense (since if it really does 170kt at FL100 you’re not likely to go higher up just for speed). Hopefully they fix it for the IFR version, or in the future (it’s possible that the 915 version does not have the same operating altitude limit, since most online info is about the 912).

Last Edited by maxbc at 05 Jan 14:13
France

johnh wrote:

How about “convivial”? Means exactly the same thing (not surprising since it comes from Latin)

I learnt something today, thanks ! (It sounds a little off in English though)

France

europaxs wrote:

A bit limiting for IFR however is its very low max operating altitude of 10.000 ft IIRC. With the Rotax 915 iS it should otherwise be easily capable for FL250.

Sorry for nitpicking, but did you mean up to FL230? :)
There is a ceiling limit in 915 manual.

EGTR
40 Posts
Sign in to add your message