Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR enroute charts -> Do you carry them, and how?

Peter wrote:

The printed airway charts are useless IMHO,…

For planning longer trips they were quite useful. Or for planning trips across/around the Alps with non-pressurised aircraft, or trips to the UK with the shortest possible over water segment. One still gets a better overall picture from a couple of charts laid out on the floor then from a computer screen – I at least. But I don’t do much flight planning myself.

EDDS - Stuttgart

And there I was sure that nobody used paper charts for flight planning since when the first autorouters came out…

To answer the question – Jeppesen FD on two iPad minis (for redundancy). And even so – never looked at one, only really use the approach charts. I can’t remember a single IFR flight where I had to refer to a chart in flight, the Gxxx and/or MFD was always sufficient.

Biggin Hill

I carry paper charts which I bought for IR training years ago – obviously not valid any more but sufficient for ramp check. However, I have AIP charts on my iPad which I download regularly from EAD.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Last time I went for IR revalidation here in Czech Republic, our CAA chief examiner asked me to show him the enroute IFR charts. When I said I had a built-in IFR GPS and a portable backup, he said he’d make an one-time exception, but generally I should have at least printed out an ENR chart from AIP.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

not valid any more but sufficient for ramp check

Heh?

Last Edited by boscomantico at 13 Apr 17:56
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Ultranomad wrote:

Last time I went for IR revalidation here in Czech Republic, our CAA chief examiner asked me to show him the enroute IFR charts. When I said I had a built-in IFR GPS and a portable backup, he said he’d make an one-time exception, but generally I should have at least printed out an ENR chart from AIP.

I carry paper en-route charts, but was told by my instructor (from UK) that there is no paper chart requirement. I should have charts, but paper form is not mandatory. G1000 + Jepp FD on iPad is enough for private flying. In commercial flying he uses two iPads for redundancy. They had to go through some transition period to become paperless. Told me that’s not required for private flying.

LPFR, Poland

No paper requirement for anything in the UK, or the USA, private flying.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have G1000 with ChartView, an iPad with JeppFD and a paper chart The paper chart may not be totally up-to-date though… but my route is plotted on it

Last Edited by Aviathor at 13 Apr 18:48
LFPT, LFPN

Peter wrote:

No paper requirement for anything in the UK, or the USA, private flying.

Not here (Germany) either. But you must have inflight access to the current and relevant information (i.e. the information contained in the national AIP charts). How you do that is up to you. Unless you fly commercially, in which case you have to describe your EFB usage and get approval from your national aviation authority.

EDDS - Stuttgart

boscomantico wrote:

Jepp wil stop publishing paper airway charts soon, just as happened with the VFR charts.

Have they actually said so, or is it your expectation?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message