Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR to EHKD no published SIDs or STARS

Wanting to do a trainingflight IFR to De Kooy EHKD I was checking out the published SID’s and STAR’s only to discover they exist for helicopters only, and not for fixed wing. So how does this work? Do I just file a flightplan to EHKD (I need PPR…), go and expect vectors?

EHTE, Netherlands

In the absence of STAR you file to an IAF for that airport. You can also check the RAD airport connectivity documents for the last en-route points that can be filed (I found none).

Using the autorouter gave me
LFPT N0179F110 MTD/N0185F130 N874 VEKIN N873 HELEN/N0182F120 N873 TOLEN/N0176F100 N873 STD/N0170F050 N873 EKROS DCT HDR HDR10 EHKD

HDR is the IAF. No idea what HDR10 is but the route validates even if I remove it.

LFPT, LFPN

Thanks, I did just that and we’ll see how it goes. Shouldn’t be too complicated! Flightplan was accepted, but then rejected because I do not have the second P in PPR sorted yet.

EHTE, Netherlands

HDR is the IAF, and that is all you need. Either they will clear you for the “Standard ILS” Approach for Rwy 21 (called “Procedural” in some countries) – then you will simply fly the procedure via HDR, or (more likely) they will give you a vector towards the ILS and then clear you. I would then intercept the LOC within DME 12.0 HDR.

“HDR10” is a point on the localizer, 10 miles from HDR, and that should be the perfect point to intercept the LOC.

Last Edited by at 14 Jun 07:50

EHKD doesn’t have ATIS either. The controller will read out the info when you first contact them.

I’ve never departed IFR from EHKD, but I suspect it will work like any other airport without a SID: The controller will give you departure instructions.
Something like: Cleared FL050, after departure continue runway heading. When passing 2000ft turn right inbound PAM.

Flightplan was accepted, but then rejected because I do not have the second P in PPR sorted yet.

Rejecting an FP due to lack of PPR is a whole “interesting” policy in itself…………… The twats at EDNY do that during the exhibition (if you file an FP whose ETA misses the booked slot) but it is an extremely aggressive “f—k you” practice which is very far from normal.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Does filing in Europe require the IAF in the flightplan? It is not necessary in the US where most flight routes are to the airport as is the clearance limit.

KUZA, United States

When I got my IR in the US I was taught the flightplan route had to end at an IAF and the EET was from departure to the IAF. But that was 17 years ago, and my memory is not getting any better with age.

In Europe flightplans undergo an automated validation by Eurocontrol/IFPS. DCTs are often not allowed or limited in distance, and generally speaking the last en-route waypoint has to be either the first waypoint of a STAR or an airport connecting point listed in the Route Availability Document, or an IAF.

The one most familiar with the gory details is AchimHA who is part of the (2-man ?) autorouter dev team.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 14 Jun 16:33
LFPT, LFPN

Aviathor, I have heard that before, but my experience is that even if you select an IAF you will end up being cleared direct to the airport or vectored when you get close to the airport.

KUZA, United States

Thanks for your input guys! I gave the tower a call and sorted the PPR, very friendly and no fuss. I just filed this TENLI/N0150F080 IFR L602 SPY and the dep and arr in seperate boxes on the homebriefing.nl website provided by Dutch ATC. I allmost immediately was vectored around Schiphol and limited to FL060 (SPY takes me through their TMA), so the flightplan was binned. Because of perfect soaring conditions FL060 took me straight under the cloudbase of gorgeous Cu’s. I said to my instructor, if I was flying a glider this is where I’d be. So I requested and was given FL080, much smoother too. I flew the standard published instrument approach with holding on 05RWY, this is a VOR approach, and also a VOR approach accepting vectors. Then to Eelde EHGG for a NDB approach. Beautifull afternoon to burn AVGAS.

EHTE, Netherlands
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message