Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR trip to EGKA Shoreham (CAS/OCAS and an important lesson learnt)

Sound clear thanks, yes no need for AFIS to depart IFR, just saw you mentioned you need Z-FPL earlier which got me puzzled (some still file “IFR” this way, depart VFR when ATC is not around, it’s not necessary if airport allow for IFR in IAP)

How about LFEC-MARCO-LFEC IFR at 2000ft? I guess it will need FPL? does ATC have activate/acknowledge?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I agree I may have confused by writing a" Z " fpl sorry about that.
Something to remember when taking off from Ouessant is that it is in D18 danger zone. So without AFIS you should contact Iroise App there is a telephone number on the IAC
I can not find MARCO because I haven’t got any en route charts handy.
But at 2000’ you are flying below MSA and below any of the platform levels for the IAF.
I can’t see MARCO as an IAF so one would consider it as both outside Ouessant ATZ and therefore en route. So you are flying too low for en route IFR OCAS in France. Therefore you are VFR and don’t require a FPL.
If you are asking could you take off from LFEC fly to MARCO and then return to LFEC to shoot the approach, all in IMC, you might be able to arrange that with Iroise App, however you would need to arrive at one of the IAFs at a minimum altitude of 2400’ if my memory serves me correctly.
Most of my trips to Ouessant IFR are round trips with a touch and go, missed approach or a quick stop for coffee so I have already spoken to Iroise App or Landi App and they know, already my intentions before the return trip.

France
52 Posts
Sign in to add your message