Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR/VFR?

This isnt intended as a crticism, but I find it slightly worrying than when pilots are IFR they declare VFR, often I suspect because they dont think they can change en route (or, I know because they may not be qualified to fly in the conditions in which they find themselves).

OCAS whether it actually achieves anything (or not) I am more than happy to tell the controller that I am in the murk, or in IMC, if for no other reason that he knows and everyone else knows that I have no chance of spotting another aircraft.

OCAS whether it actually achieves anything (or not) I am more than happy to tell the controller that I am in the murk, or in IMC, if for no other reason that he knows and everyone else knows that I have no chance of spotting another aircraft.

Some controllers give you traffic information like unidentified target indicating 1200ft when you told him you are in IMC and in 7000ft.

United Kingdom

Let me add my usual note:

Is it not the case that the majority of light aircraft pilots filing IFR are in fact flying in VMC conditions and are only fling IFR to get the benefit of having the flight controlled?

On the continent, yes. In UK, this does not work because they almost don’t have any class E airspace. Class E is the only airspace class where flight rules make a difference towards whether your flight will be controlled or not.

For the rest:

A-D: controlled, irrespective of whether VFR or IFR
F-G: uncontrolled, irrespective of whether VFR or IFR

For the rest, I agree with the others: just say you are IFR now.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 19 Jun 20:56
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Some controllers give you traffic information like unidentified target indicating 1200ft when you told him you are in IMC and in 7000ft.

True. However in my experience that is true whether you have declared VFR or IFR when receiving a service.

14 Posts
Sign in to add your message