Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Immigration and Customs formalities when flying from Schengenland into the UK and back

Forum,

Forgive me for asking what might seems the obvious for most of you… but what formalities when and how are required to fly between a customs airport in Schengenland (say LFQQ or EBKT) and a UK airport (say EGBJ), and inverse.

In a distant past i used to make a stop at Manston and fill some papers. I also vaguely remembered to have faxed (yes…) some forms, but what is the 2014 procedure? Any pointer will be appreciated. Any expression of “how-ignorant-could-you-be” will be understood by the author.

Thanks!

Niner Mike

Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium

If you are flying into an airfield that doesn’t have permanent customs (most that GA would use), the modern way is to file a GAR on line. There are several commercial operations who will, for a small fee, help you to make it happen provided you have some kind of computer (I’m assuming nothing here…).
There is a link on the AOPA web site where you can do it for free.
Off the top of my head these are words that might help you in your google search:
Rocket Route.
Pocket FMS
Skydemon.

This link will also help you get started:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-internet-portal-for-the-submission-of-the-general-aviation-report

Forever learning
EGTB

If you are flying into an airfield that doesn’t have permanent customs (most that GA would use), the modern way is to file a GAR on line.

No. As per UKBF guidance, an advance GAR is now required in any case, irrespective of the customs/immigration designation of the aerodrome.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

That’s right – there are no more “Customs” airports in the UK.

The downside is that you need a GAR for every one, some hours before arrival.

The upside (which existed before this last change) is that you can fly from Kathmandu to your UK farm strip, just by filing a GAR.

Flying out of the UK, you need an airport which is called a “Customs airport”. If flying to an airport in the EU, then strictly speaking you need one with Immigration, not Customs, but AFAICT it is only Germany where this is relevant. If flying to outside the EU then you need the whole lot.

If flying to the UK from an airport within the EU then the above is also true.

Departures from the UK to the EU don’t need a GAR (presumably this is so only if everybody aboard is an EU citizen).

Last Edited by Peter at 11 Jun 18:53
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks guys.
The online GAR form through AOPA works!

I shall now humbly retract.

Niner Mike

Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium

No need to retract

This is a part of what EuroGA is for.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

At 1816hours yesterday evening, Niner Mike posted a query on UK Customs and Immigration. Some 34 minutes later, at 1850hours, the poster had received a series of informative posts covering the topic and his query had been dealt with.

Now the $64k question: Where else on the interweb could one post a query and obtain informed responses within that time, er . that’s right – nowhere except EuroGA through its knowledgeable correspondents and it was an impressive performance by any yardstick.

Well done Peter for providing such a platform.

OT

7 Posts
Sign in to add your message