Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Impressive V1 engine cut in a Citation

Looks really painless…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I am there are some types out there that would be more tricky, but from the 2 I have flown and many others I have seen, engine failures in jets are really very tame to handle.

United Kingdom

The great thing about jets like the citation is that they are easy to fly. Emergency stuff like this is covered many times in every recurrent training session, and in general you do not know what is going to happen unlike the demo in the video. In a simulator they can be much more aggressive with the failure scenarios. In my personal opinion an abort just before V1 has more potential for danger than continuing into the air from a failure above V1, particularly with a contaminated runway.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Depends on type and circumstances, plus rudder size. The Learjet has a tea tray for a rudder, so in an engine failure you have to basically boot the rudder through the nose like an MEP. The one that keeps you awake at night is a thrust reverser deploying close to the ground though – I’ve done it in the sim and cleaned up, with the engine shut down (no waiting to 400’!) you get a climb rate of about 50fpm if you nail V2 to the knot.

In larger transport category aircraft, an engine failure is relatively simple in most cases as you have a massive rudder designed for the absolutely worst case. A high sped RTO on a limiting runway, as Neil says, can be the worst scenario.

London area

In my operation, doing this kind of stuff is Verboten below 200ft. For a good reason: some birdstrikes and near-misses with large birds plus one recent turbine failure taught me a lesson. There is always a chance of losing an engine on take-off. And it would be very stupid if you had just deliberately cut the other one a second ago… This is stuff for the simulator.

Anyway, as others wrote before: An engine failure on take-off is no big deal to handle in a Citation. Much worse is a reverser deployment at V1 (which is flyable and survivable if handled well) but this – luckily! if I look at the cowboys in this video… can really only be done in the sim.

Last Edited by what_next at 05 Oct 16:43
EDDS - Stuttgart

n larger transport category aircraft, an engine failure is relatively simple in most cases as you have a massive rudder

You need a large rudder when the engines are mounted e.g.under the wing ( B737 – DC10 – A 330 etc) where an engine failure creates much more asymmetry.
Two engines on the aft fuselage and an automatic rudder input in case of a failure (as on many corporate jets) are more a piece of cake …

EDxx, Germany

…and an automatic rudder input in case of a failure (as on many corporate jets)

On Citations you get “rudder bias”, as Cessna calls it, from the Excel (C560XL and XLS) upward. The old C500 or whatever that is in the video doesn’t have this kind of luxury.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Is Cessna’s rudder bias the same sort of thing as the rudder boost on the King Air do you know? Basically using a shuttle valve to send bleed air to drive the rudder in the right direction with assym. thrust?

United Kingdom

Yup. The CJ3 has that sort of arrangement for example.

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

As does the Lear 40/45, but to activate it you have to be pushing on the pedal with all your might. It also “helps” by over boosting the remaining engine with an extra 150lb of thrust with an engine failure.

The engines close to the centreline goes both ways – it means the designer will give you a tiny rudder, meaning you will still end up needing all of it.

London area
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message