Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

In-ear headsets

I tried them……..

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I tried them……..

Can you report some detail on your findings, Peter?

I am sure others would be interested.

Last Edited by Peter at 15 Dec 11:43
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I know a guy in the US who started doing it some years ago, he was using the same technique that is used in making hearing aids, it did not catch on. If you want a very very good headset that sits inside the ear then look no further than Clarity Aloft. Comfortable and stays in. I tried my wife’s set, it was very quite and had no weight, after very short while I forgot all about them so during the climb out when the tower said something, the sound in my ears caused me to jump in my seat.

I have it and it is fab.
They provide some universal plugs, but they are rubbish. The ones fitted to your ear canals are great, you forget that you wear them. I use oxygen on most flights and it is great with sunglasses too. You don’t have to worry about a gap. As I usually do quite long flights, I had issues with my light speed zulu and the sunglasses. It started to hurt. No issues with the Phonak.
The only downside is that you have to give it a little pull so that the pressure can equalise on quick descents.

United Kingdom

Where did you two get the custom ear inserts made?

Historically, people I know used Headset Services at Shoreham to make these, for the Clarity Aloft headset (which I am told is also useless without custom earplugs).

It was eventually obvious to me that the Lightspeed Mach 1 was also useless unless one got custom earplugs made.

I have just looked up the Phonak pricing and it is slightly shocking, even by my standards Even more than a Bose A20, which means this headset needs to be something from outer space to be worth getting.

It’s hard to tell if it has two jacks (and possibly no battery i.e. is totally passive, like the Mach 1 was) or whether it has a battery pack as well.

Last Edited by Peter at 15 Dec 13:20
Administrator

Peter, as I see it there exists a version “XLR-5” which seems to indicate the need for a source of electrical power. Isn’t XLR-5 used by (certain versions of) Bose’s A20, too? I dare bet this one is pin-compatible.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

An “XLR” is the decades-old audio XLR

The aircraft powered headsets (Bose, Lightspeed I believe are the only ones) use a LEMO plug. Here is the plug, on the end of the Bose A20 cable

I’ve never seen an aircraft headset with an XLR on it, but Phonak are also marketing into other markets.

Administrator

Sorry to disagree, Peter (and BTW don’t teach me what an XLR plug is – I soldered hundreds of them)

http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/home-and-personal-audio/headphones-and-headsets/aviation-headsets/a20-aviation-headset-with-xlr5-connector-and-bluetooth/

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I knew you know what an XLR looks like but I have never seen a plane with an XLR socket for the headset(s). For a handheld GPS etc power outlet, yes…

Administrator

I was trying to be tactful I just did not like them. Tried them for a month and gave them back. I have an aversion to things sticking in my ear and have retained an allergy to the material used for some ear plugs. In terms of value, a Bose A20 or Lightspeed Zulu is, IMHO, much much better. I declined a dealership as I just could not get enthusiastic about them. I understand that the passive version is fairly popular in the gliding community.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message